Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation
Last updated 1 year ago.

Nope same issue :(

Open the Virtualbox GUI and find the homestead vm, click on it then click start.

If there is an error it will tell you what the problem is, if there is no error then there is likely a problem in the vagrant config.

TerrePorter said:

Open the Virtualbox GUI and find the homestead vm, click on it then click start.

If there is an error it will tell you what the problem is, if there is no error then there is likely a problem in the vagrant config.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like there are no errors, just asks for a login so guess the vagrant config is wrong. Any ideas on what it could be? Where exactly is the config file I would want to edit?

Thank you again for the help!

Not sure if this could be it, but it looks like the default login and password on Vitrualbox is vagrant. When I generated my ssh key I used my email and no password, should I change that to vagrant vagrant? could that be causing it? Maybe I will just try that since it's easy enough.

I tried changing the ssh and tried vagrant up again. I then opened the Virtualbox Gui and showed the console it waits for a while on the network connection part. Says waiting 60 more seconds or something. Then after a while it goes through some more things and then stops at the login screen. Meanwhile in the git bash it's still hainging. I then logged in on VB Gui and still hanging on git bash until it finally says the red message I've been getting.

I was saying not to use vagrant to start the vm, but instead open Virtualbox Gui and start the machine there.

It will not be 100% usable as if you started successfully in vagrant, because of the missing mappings, etc, but it should start the Ubuntu virtual machine or produce an error. If it launches and you can login with u:vagrant p:vagrant then it is likely a problem with the vagrant config.

The vagrant config i was referring to was the homestead.yaml file.

You might need to re-provision the vm machine to get the ssh key to work, or maybe a destroy and recreate the vm might be an idea.

Also note my CPU doesn't support hardware virtualization although I seem to have it enabled in my bios.

Just noticed that, you have to have a CPU that supports virtualization or homestead won't work. You can verify it does, with https://www.grc.com/securable.htm or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592

If you do not have a cpu that has the hardware virtualization, you will need to look at using a 32-bit vm not homestead as it is 64-bit and requires hardware virtualization.

TerrePorter said:

I was saying not to use vagrant to start the vm, but instead open Virtualbox Gui and start the machine there.

It will not be 100% usable as if you started successfully in vagrant, because of the missing mappings, etc, but it should start the Ubuntu virtual machine or produce an error. If it launches and you can login with u:vagrant p:vagrant then it is likely a problem with the vagrant config.

The vagrant config i was referring to was the homestead.yaml file.

You might need to re-provision the vm machine to get the ssh key to work, or maybe a destroy and recreate the vm might be an idea.

Also note my CPU doesn't support hardware virtualization although I seem to have it enabled in my bios.

Just noticed that, you have to have a CPU that supports virtualization or homestead won't work. You can verify it does, with https://www.grc.com/securable.htm or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592

If you do not have a cpu that has the hardware virtualization, you will need to look at using a 32-bit vm not homestead as it is 64-bit and requires hardware virtualization.

I did launch it in Virtualbox Gui with u:vagrant p:vagrant and there appeared to be no errors although I think it said blackfire failed. But I could login and everything seemed to be fine so I guess it's an issue with vagrant config (Homestead.yaml) in my user folder That file is as follows:

---
ip: "192.168.10.10"
memory: 2048
cpus: 1
provider: virtualbox

authorize: C:/Users/NathanBowhay/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

keys:
    - C:/Users/NathanBowhay/.ssh/id_rsa

folders:
    - map: E:/Development/Home/Code
      to: /home/vagrant/Code

sites:
    - map: laravel.dev
      to: /home/vagrant/Code/Laravel/public

databases:
    - homestead

# blackfire:
#     - id: foo
#       token: bar
#       client-id: foo
#       client-token: bar

# ports:
#     - send: 50000
#       to: 5000
#     - send: 7777
#       to: 777
#       protocol: udp

As for the virtualization bit, it's enabled in my Bios, but according to both Steves tool and the official tool: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor... (Microsoft tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592 doesn't work on Windows 10) ; it isn't support with my cpu so I'm out of luck there. Although I was a bit confused, because according to ASUS if it isn't supported on my CPU then it won't even show up in the BIOS as an option, also according to the Intel list page of processors.

Anyway I was getting the error with the same config using original homestead and then I realized the virtualization issue and ended up finding this: https://github.com/rmff/laravel-homestead-32bit It seems to be pretty recent. Is it still the case though that homestead won't work at all? As far as I understand you just need a 32bit vm and to use 32bit on vagrant.

I didn't catch windows 10, but the virtualization does sound odd. But if it booted in the GUI then I wouldn't worry about the 32-bit stuff.

In the homestead config, these paths do not look right,

authorize: C:/Users/NathanBowhay/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
 - C:/Users/NathanBowhay/.ssh/id_rsa
 - map: E:/Development/Home/Code

It might be ok, I've just never seen them this way on a windows machine.

Try changing them,

authorize: C:\Users\NathanBowhay\.ssh\id_rsa.pub
 - C:\Users\NathanBowhay\.ssh\id_rsa
 - map: E:\Development\Home\Code

Just tried that and getting the same issue. I've tried the relative as well and still got the error. I figured maybe it would work since I'm running it all through git bash and I think whatever you are running vagrant through all configs are run in that environment as well and git bash supports a bunch of linux command formatting.

I'm wondering though if I'm just going to have to try the wamp option, but it would be nice for it to all be on a vm.

I have also been wondering if the ip in my config is off. My ip address I changed to not collide with my work vpn so it's 10.10.10.10. Not sure what the virtual ports used, but should I check that and use one of those?

I have no clue about running it through git bash, i just use a generic windows command window to launch vagrant.

The vm shouldn't interfere with the vpn unless it is using the same ip listed in the homestead config, ip: "192.168.10.10"

If you do not update your hosts file to use the dns name, then you would access the vm in a browser using http:\127.0.0.1:8000

Here is what I would try,

- Open a command prompt, not git bash prompt, I have mine set to open in this directory
c:\local_devel

-- change directories to the homestead folder

c:\local_devel\> cd Homestead-2.1.8_custom

-- destroy the vm
c:\local_devel\>vagrant destroy

-- make a new vm
c:\local_devel\>vagrant up

It should recreate the vm with the current config settings.

i have the same problem. canot get it to boot with vagrant in windows. i have 3 other ubuntu boxes that work , have 2 with vagrant.. both vagrant boxes do the same thing. at this point have no clue, no errors. they just hang and time out...

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.