Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Installation
Last updated 1 year ago.

I'd be more concerned with learning php. I do not think a laravel book is necessary. I wish the docs were updated.

Ok, thanks

I have knowledge in PHP, as I also used Yii and Laravel 4, and some cakePHP. I had gotten away from PHP when I did a project in django and played around with Flask.

I've never seen nor heard of that book so I can't make any real comment towards it's value. However, there are several really awesome blogs like clutt that probably are by far worth reading first.

Also, if you are gonna spend some money consider laracasts. Jeffery is an awesome speaker and his tutorials are very easy to understand and I'd venture to say that most people will away with a decent comprehension on the subject matter that he covers. The key is that he covers each subject at just about the right amount. Ugh, now I sound like I'm selling his service ... sorry

i only can second what illuminate is saying. Laracasts videos are killer.

One thing to think about: A book very fast becomes outdated on a developing project. ie when hast this book been written? L5 just went from dev to stable. And watching the early L5 (L4.3) videos you will see, what has changed during this time.

Since meanwhile the Laracast videos can be used and there are quite some worthy blog to read through i personally wouldn't go with a book.

And, just as a side node: I own quite some book but i have never ever had one where the code provided in these books was working.

Thanks for the Feedback. I played some of Jeffery's videos and agree that is is very clear in explaining and teaching. I think I will forego the book and concentrate on other avenues like laracasts.

Best Regards,

Frank

Hi,

I'm the author of "Easy Laravel 5" (the book in question), and just wanted to chime in regarding the timeliness of the material. Indeed it can be easy for technical books to quickly become outdated, however the book is indeed current in regards to Laravel 5 features, and I regularly update it (often several times a week), and publish a changelog over on the book's website at http://www.easylaravelbook.com/changelog/.

I'm also regularly adding new material and in fact later this week am adding a new chapter on events. All readers receive free updates for life, meaning all bug fixes, new chapters, improvements, in a nutshell readers will always have the most current available version of the book available to them.

If you have any questions about the book, feel free to email me anytime at wj AT wjgilmore.com.

Jason

hi, I bought this book because I found laracasts to be going a bit too quickly and having tried a sample of this book it seemed a lot of help in affirming Laravel. I'm glad a did invest in it, it's well written. I'll go back to Laracasts after this book but it will also be a good resource to have on my virtual bookshelf.

Last updated 8 years ago.

Jeffrey Way and Laracasts is just great. But, there is still something magical about the smell and feel of an actual book. I still enjoy flipping through the pages, highlighting certain passages that I may want to refer to at a later time. That is just my two cents of course. Not to mention that you can take it with you when no internet connection is available. Perhaps a combination of the two could always work. Enjoy !!!

peterbata said:

Jeffrey Way and Laracasts is just great. But, there is still something magical about the smell and feel of an actual book. I still enjoy flipping through the pages, highlighting certain passages that I may want to refer to at a later time. That is just my two cents of course. Not to mention that you can take it with you when no internet connection is available. Perhaps a combination of the two could always work. Enjoy !!!

I also love the smell and feel of an actual book, but This book is in PDF, MOBI and EPUB formats :)

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

frocco frocco Joined 3 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.