Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Laravel.io
Last updated 1 year ago.

Check the footer ;)

Proudly hosted by fortrabbit. I know where not to host now :)

LOL! What?

Usually, I need to wait several seconds for this forum to load, which is weird for the hits number being that low.

not that I think this at all relevant content for an opening thread, but I would agree, running over a 164mbps line, this is very slow.

For most websites, 164 mbps and 10 mbps won't make a difference, because downloading the content is just a fraction of second in getting contents process. Waiting for response takes so long.

Yes I think this is relevant to open a thread :) Forum-related topics are okay too I guess.

I've always found the site pretty slow too, glad to know it's not just me! Forum-related topics are fine IMHO, this is inside the "Laravel.io" category, so I don't see a problem with it.

I have the same problem, it can easilly take up to 10 seconds to load (180 Mbps).

Individual threads load in 1 or 2 seconds, I actually think it might be the code that is very slow. Or maybe the avatars that are loaded from Gravatar.

I run it this morning on http://www.webpagetest.org and there are certainly things that could be optimized, regardless of the host.

1. The cache is essentially not in use. For a rapidly and dynamically changing page this might be normal, nevertheless I think that 11% cached content is not enough.

2. The "keep alive" could be higher as well. If home page logos (images), scripts and css must be loaded over and over again, this is not necessary. Increasing the "keep alive" value could help.

3. Breaking down page loading time reveals that about 70% (5.5 sec) loading time is for the laravel forum. Followed by the avatar images, while some of them require quite long to load , others are essentially irrelevant to the page loading time.

4. Interestingly, data is loaded from 13 different domains (avatars for example from git hub, Google fonts, Google Api etc.). According to my experience this also takes some time, but may be necessary for modern, interactive websites like this one.

All in all, point 1 and 2 could be improved imho. But the major part of the loading time is clearly the Laravel forum. It may be that the host is not well adjusted to the needs of the Laravel forum. Communicating with the host sometimes helps to find the bottleneck and do something about it. If not, there are certainly more than enough good hosters out there, of which some have specialized hosting Laravel sites.

And finally, the cost-benefit ratio must be taken into consideration as well. I mean the site is free and I haven't noticed ads or the like, so, we can't expect that the site is hosted on an uber-expensive host with all the benefits only ;)

Yeah, I think nobody expects ultra expensive hostings, but it's still weird, because there are just several topics per day here, hit ratio is very low.

Fortrabbit uses Amazon AWS as his own infraestructure... It's just a IaaS specifically tuned for PHP environment.

PD: From Perú with a 1MB/s as bandwidth everything is very fast.

How long are you here?

Heya, it's true. The forums feel rather slow atm. If you want to help out and give it a shot at improving its speed try sending in a pull request to it here: https://github.com/LaravelIO/laravel.io/

Btw, it has nothing to do with Fortrabbit. It's purely an application problem in combination with the large dataset we have.

Large dataset? Come on, there are much larger forums that go smoothly.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

kokokurak kokokurak Joined 21 Aug 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.