Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Authentication Security
Last updated 1 year ago.

I have the same question, because my database column remember_token is always empty...

Last updated 1 year ago.

It is set by Laravel itself, when you set to remember the user. And is regenerated on logging out.

Last updated 1 year ago.

But after i logged in with remember true, the database column is empty. I think the column should be filled with a token, or i misunderstood anything?

Last updated 1 year ago.

No it should be set. Did you follow the upgrade guide to 4.1.26? http://laravel.com/docs/upgrade#upgrade-4.1.26

Last updated 1 year ago.

Yep, and the column remember_token is nullable. My login works fine but the token never gets updated if i login with remember = true.

Hmm...

Last updated 1 year ago.

I think there is a problem because i'm using Ardent to validate my User model. (User extends Ardent) Laravel's core functions use the save() method to update the remember_token which will fail because the model is invalid.

Anyone who has the same problem? Is there any workaround?

Last updated 1 year ago.

Here is my workaround when using Ardent to validate my User model.

I just added

User::$rules = array();

to overwrite my validation rules before Auth::attempt()

Last updated 1 year ago.

This hack does seem to work but remember to include it before auth::logout or it will not change the token

Last updated 1 year ago.

From what i found the issue is the save in the eloquent user provider. How would i go about extending this

Last updated 1 year ago.

I figured out a little better of a method then statically overriding validation rules. This is my first foray into extension so please excuse me if its not refined.

Step 1: Create a class to extend Eloquent User Provider

example:

<?php namespace Irony\Auth; use \Illuminate\Auth\EloquentUserProvider; class ArdentEloquentUserProvider extends EloquentUserProvider { /** * @param \Illuminate\Auth\UserInterface $user * @param string $token */ public function updateRememberToken(\Illuminate\Auth\UserInterface $user, $token) { $user->setAttribute($user->getRememberTokenName(), $token); $user->forceSave(); } } step 2: add it to a bootstrapped file. I added it to start.php before the return of the application object example: /** Auth ardent work around */ \Auth::extend('Ardent', function() { return new \Illuminate\Auth\Guard( new \Irony\Auth\ArdentEloquentUserProvider( new \Illuminate\Hashing\BcryptHasher, \Config::get('auth.model') ), \App::make('session.store') ); }); step 3: change driver in auth config file config/auth.php example: | Supported: "database", "eloquent" | */ 'driver' => 'Ardent', Now the only issue was the save to force save and I am sure there is a better way of doing this like maybe a service provider to stop from having to alter start.php? please god let me know because I am a little out of my depths lol
Last updated 1 year ago.

This is what i did to solve and it worked! Just go to the Auth/Guard.php and go to the method

protected function createRememberTokenIfDoesntExist(UserInterface $user)
	{
		if (is_null($user->getRememberToken()))
		{
			$this->refreshRememberToken($user);
		}
               else
               {
                       $this->refreshRememberToken($user);
               }
	}
Notice the method after else it is same because it will tell if its not null refresh the token!
then token should be set after each login as well as on logout.
Last updated 1 year ago.

I had the same problem before, because I added the "remember_token" nullable column to my users table but I didn't set its default value to NULL. The column "remember_token" MUST be set to NULL (it's different from an empty string) in order to let Laravel setting it with the token value. This way is not necessary any core class extension, so please try this before editing/extending core Laravel classes.

I know, this should be written in Laravel's doc... $#!?!KK!!!

Last updated 1 year ago.

Auth::attempt($userdata, true) and add remember_token collumn to you user table

Last updated 1 year ago.

make sure remember_token is 255 varchar and set to NULL

Last updated 1 year ago.

This may seem to diverge from the question but I don't want to create a new question for it. Just need a simple answer.

Should the 'remember_token' field be guarded or fillable?

Last updated 9 years ago.

I just upgraded to laravel 5.1 and got this problem with an empty remember_token column. It was simply solved by following the instructions from the laravel upgrade doc part "Upgrading To 4.1.26 From <= 4.1.25"

I added these 3 methods to my User.php class and everything worked as it did before upgrading:

public function getRememberToken()
{
    return $this->remember_token;
}

public function setRememberToken($value)
{
    $this->remember_token = $value;
}

public function getRememberTokenName()
{
    return 'remember_token';
}

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.