Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Requests Session Validation
Last updated 1 year ago.

Anyone? I still can't figure this out.

I actually have a different laravel project that it all works fine on. But doing (what I think is) the same thing on this project, and I can't get flashed messages to stay. Only permanent messages into the session work.

The only difference I know for sure is the one it works on is laravel 5.2.14 and the new one, where it doesn't work is 5.2.31.

So either there is a change between the two I i'm not taking into account. Or, more likely, I've got something wrong in my code that I'm too dense to figure out.

->withErrors($validator->errors());

WrongWay said:

->withErrors($validator->errors());

Nope, still nothing. Its not the object that is the problem I don't think. Its the session not keeping the 'flashed' message.

Its almost like on the redirect, it loading two pages. So the first one (that I don't see) gets the flashed message. And then when the 'second' one loads, the message has been deleted from the session since that is the 2nd request.

Doesn't matter how I flash the message to the session. ->withErrors, ->flash('msg', 'value') or using this

$this->validate($request.....) 

which automatically redirect back if the form field fails validation, I never get the flashed data on the page redirect.

Unless I put it in permanently to the session with ->put('key', 'value'). So sessions are working.

Last updated 7 years ago.

So you say there are 2 redirects happening ? It doesn't work this way. Error messages are flashed, not kept

Allirght, I think I may have found what's causing my problem. But I'm not sure. And I don't know how to fix it.

I wanted to see if I could watch the session change over time, to see if the variables ever even got placed into the session.

Turns out, my session is being regenerated on EVERY page load. I get lots and lots of sessions.

I made the following route

Route::group(['middleware' => 'web'], function () {
   Route::get ('/test', function () {
      return 'You are here';
   });
};

And if I keep reloading the /test page, it makes a new session on each load. If I move the /test page outside of the web middleware group, and just make it a naked route all by itself, then I only get 1 session created each time I load the page.

I think that may have something to do with my problem. Because my other laravel websites do not create new sessions each page load.

....Edit

After playing around some more. If I delete the following line from the Kernel.php 'web' middleware, then I do NOT get a new session being created on each page refresh. But still I have no flashed session messages being kept between pages.

\App\Http\Middleware\EncryptCookies::class,

But, I DO get 2 'new' sessions created when I submit a form.

For example:

I have 5 'sessions' files in /storage/framework/sessions.

I submit a form where 1 field is required to be 5 characters, but I only put in 2 letters so it fails validation.

I get redirected back to the form input, with OUT those 2 characters and no error messages from the failed validation. Because like I said above the session is empty of those things.

But now my /storage/framework/sessions folder has 7 sessions in it.

So it seems like its creating multiple sessions. Maybe one for the POST data on form submit and one for the GET data on the redirect???? I don't know.

Last updated 7 years ago.

So I couldn't figure this out, so I started over. I'm going to document step by step what I just did, and hopefully someone can tell me if that is expected behavior. Because it seems strange to me.

1. Install laravel in empty directory

composer create-project --prefer-dist laravel/laravel site

2. Changed directory permissions and ownership

sudo chown www-data:www-data -R site/
sudo chmod g+w -R site/
  1. load my site 4 or 5 times, to see how many sessions were being creeated in /storage/framework/sessions Only 1 sesssion was created in the file, despite many reloads

2. changed my routes.php file from this

Route::get('/', function () {
    return view('welcome');
});

to this

Route::group(['middleware' => 'web'], function () {
    Route::get('/', function () {
        return view('welcome');
    });
});

And now, on each page reload of '/' I get a new session created each time. Dozens of new sessions.

I didn't do anything other than above. I didn't change any .env files. I didn't do any database changes or anything.

My understanding is it should NOT make a new sessions each time you just refresh the page. I've tried refreshing in firefox and chrome, and same thing. New sessions each time.

Is this a bug? Or have I done something wrong? Or is it working as expected and I just misunderstand how often new sessions should be created when part of the 'web' middleware?

Found it !!

Apparently in 5.2.27 the routes handling changed. Now ALL routes are added to the web middleware by default.

I did my first laravel 5 project in 5.2.14 where you had to manually assign all routes in the routes.php to the web middleware.

Because 2.31 (after 2.27) automatically adds everything to 'web' and then I was manually adding it to the 'web' middleware, it was creating a new session each time.

So I removed all my routes from the 'web' middleware and just left them in 'auth'. And the web middleware gets applied automatically, and everything works.

Here is where I found my answer in case someone wants more details

https://github.com/laravel/framework/issues/13000

@nertskull

Thank you that has been my problem too!

Same problem here, thanks

Many many thanks! Had the same problem and tried to debug the whole validation process. Thank god it's solved now.

Thank you that has been my problem too!

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Nertskull nertskull Joined 3 Apr 2015

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.