Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Database Eloquent Architecture
Last updated 1 year ago.

Here is a workaround, but I am not sure if it is the standard way to do it, anyways:

//deleting a user who has a toy :)
Toy::find($toyId)->user()->newPivotStatementForId(Auth::id())->whereStatus(0)->delete();

//deleting a user who wants a toy :(
Toy::find($toyId)->user()->newPivotStatementForId(Auth::id())->whereStatus(1)->delete();

Regards,

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I ended up using...

DB::delete('delete from toy_user where toy_id = ? AND user_id = ? AND status = 0', array($toy->id,Auth::id()));

Last updated 1 year ago.

Having to write plain SQL statements in an Eloquent based app seems a bit awkward for me. Having had a similar problem I would suggest:

• create a model UsersToys which has many-to-one relationships to User and Toy
  • delete the records using something like:
    foreach ($myToy->users as $u) {
        if ($u->pivot->status == 1) {
            $ut = UsersToys::find($u->pivot->id);
            $ut->delete();
        }
    }

Pros:

• It keeps the code free from SQL.
  • The additional model can be used elsewhere.

Cons:

• This is an awkward hack as well, mostly because
  • It needs an additional model.

Deleting single records from a pivot table seems to be an overlooked (or maybe undocumented) feauture of Eloquent.

Last updated 9 years ago.

alf1995 liked this reply

I just ran into this problem as well and had to write a DB raw query. I haven't tired the newPivotStatementForId method yet but I can't imagine it's that much better.

Imagine if you had another column called "given". Now you can 3 possible types of rows with the combination of user_id, toy_id, status = 0|1 and given = 0|1. If you wanted to delete where user_id = x, toy_id = y, and status = 1, give = 1 that method would not work.

What Eloquent really needs is a way to access the pivot via a surrogate key. I believe you may be able to do it via a custom pivot model but haven't tried.

Just send the ID of the related model you want to detach like:

\Auth::user()->favourites()->detach($ad->id);

To access the id of pivot table you need to add the 'id' in withPivot when defining the relations. And then make a new model for pivot table and delete the single entry of pivot using pivot id. Here is my code ##Resource.php public function resources() { return $this->belongsToMany( 'DispatchLoad', 'resource_schedule', 'resource_id', 'load_id' )->withPivot(['id', 'start_date', 'end_date'])->withTimestamps(); } ##DispatchLoad.php public function resources() { return $this->belongsToMany( 'Resource', 'resource_schedule', 'load_id', 'resource_id' )->withPivot(['id', 'start_date', 'end_date'])->withTimestamps(); } ##Repo public function detach( array $input ) { return ResoureSchedule::find($input['pivot_id'])->delete(); //the pivot_id is set is passed from the form in a view, where all entries // of pivot tables are listed, when user clicks a row I take the pivot id // and submit the delete form }

Last updated 8 years ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

dwalls32 dwalls32 Joined 18 Aug 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.