Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Architecture
Last updated 1 year ago.

If Taylor follows his regular release schedule, v5.0 will be released some time in November, possibly around one week after Symfony 2.6 is released.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thanks, i'm a cakephp developer around 5 year. But around five month ago starting to try somethings with Laravel.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm completely new to Laravel, currently testing some things with the developer version of Laravel 5. Do you think it's worth to wait for the new version? I would like to finish one of my projects with the Laravel framework, so I could also take the stable Laravel 4 version and upgrade at later time. But there seems to be a lot of changes between 4 and 5 :-(

Last updated 1 year ago.

If you're just starting a new project that will take a while, I'd probably start with version 5, if you can live with breaking changes from time to time. It should get finalized in the coming weeks.

Last updated 1 year ago.

It could possible be delayed still. All depends if everything Taylor wants to complete gets done on time: https://twitter.com/taylorotwell/status/520293875772977152

Last updated 1 year ago.

michaeljk said:

I'm completely new to Laravel, currently testing some things with the developer version of Laravel 5. Do you think it's worth to wait for the new version? I would like to finish one of my projects with the Laravel framework, so I could also take the stable Laravel 4 version and upgrade at later time. But there seems to be a lot of changes between 4 and 5 :-(

There is a ton of changes between 4 and 5, with the majority of them positively accepted by all (boo Route Annotations). If you can wait 2 months or so to get something into production, wait for 5. The backbone of 5 is well worth the wait.

Last updated 1 year ago.

How difficult will it be to migrate a Laravel 4.2 app to 5.0? I know that's probably hard to answer, but supposing you're using a few popular libraries (all of which support 5.0) and you have a medium-large app.

Any news about workbench in L5?

hamstu said:

How difficult will it be to migrate a Laravel 4.2 app to 5.0? I know that's probably hard to answer, but supposing you're using a few popular libraries (all of which support 5.0) and you have a medium-large app.

Hard to say at this point. For some it might be easy, others it may be a little harder. It might not even be worth the investment at all.

michaeljk said:

I'm in a similar position. Joined some others for a bit of guided work with Laravel 4. I have a current project of my own that I could start in Laravel, but it seems to make sense to hold back until Laravel 5 is released. When will laravel.com be updated to have docs for 5, or do I just need to know a secret URL like http://laravel.com/docs/5.0 ?

Many thanks to those that can answer with more insight than myself.

Oh, I'm being stupid. It's the "Dev" docs just the Laravel 4.3 = Laravel 5 naming hasn't been confirmed yet I guess. http://laravel.com/docs/master

When 4.x came out 3.x was still going strong, especially since 4.x had almost no "bundles" from the start. However, this time around I'd say that most packages will migrate rather quickly but you should consider how long you can wait for 5.x and a solid set of packages and also remember that migrate from 4.x to 5.x is no where near an issue that going from 3.x to 4.x.

I'm guessing it will be 5.x rather than 4.3.x since it's a nice and clean way to show the major difference in directory structure and what not. Also, I'm gonna guess that the docs are being held up by how things are/were going all over the place with the 5 series.

@nomoregrapes That's just because 5.0 hasn't been released yet, should be within 4 weeks excited

Valentine's Day?

@illuminate3 It will officially be 5.0, the version upgrade has been confirmed for quite some time.

Taylor tweeted the other day he will try to get a Beta tag out this week. Official release towards the end of this month, perhaps into next month depending on docs and further analysis of what should be done to go stable.

There are quite a few bugs left to be worked out and some features that were being worked on getting removed since they aren't going to be stable for release. Maybe we will see those in 5.1 or 5.2.

Still lots to do since packages are down :(

I just want to say that from what I've seen so far (quite a bit) it will be so worth the wait...

I surely hope that the docs are fully updated in with the release date.

See: http://www.laraveldfw.com/live from Thursday

Taylor answers some questions on L5 and where he's at. He basically said it's good to go right now, if you don't mind having incomplete documentation. The docs will be fully updated and the Laravel site will have a fresh overhaul for the release.

He's mainly just closing out some pull requests right now, but the core is pretty much ready and said it should be fine to use and nothing should really change with structure at this point. He also explains a little bit about upgrading to L5 from L4 and what you would need to do. Everything is mainly the same, it just requires moving some files around and waiting for possibly a handful of packages you may be using to be updated for L5.

This post is 3 weeks old now.

Follow @laravelphp for updates - will be announced there.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.