Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation Architecture Jobs
Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi, Laravel 4 was not very different than CodeIgniter but the 5th version is a bit tricky. It will take about few weeks to feel comfortable in it but after these weeks - you will think that it was really easy.

Main differences are in class usage, resources usage/creation, template engine and a bit more tricky routing. Of course not to mention the Eloquent database engine but after giving it a try - you will love it :)

The future of laravel is like any other framework - at the time you learned CodeIgniter it was a good framework but now it is not... Well you still can use it but it is old... :) As for Laravel if the creator will update it every time new symfony modules/versions comes out - it will be a great choice.

As for myself I'm developing with laravel for about 1.5 years now and i'm really happy. Beside all the bonuses i named earlier I like the fact that you can adapt easilly to Symfony after Laravel 5 :) This is a great bonus!

Have fun developing!

@ModestasV Thanks Sir! Glad to receive answer. I was thinking of moving to Ruby On Rails as PHP devs are more and more day by day(Most of them are Cheap developers in terms of Code quality and Salary). So it is difficult for me to get well paid in herd of cheap devs. Should i move to RoR ?

I can't answer that for you :) PHP developers are getting cheaper just because there is a lot of them and people are accepting low prices. If you will enter RoR world you can be left without a single client... Or it will be even better than with php :) As for my opinion - get in touch with both, then you will have more chances.

For example I'm php developer but I'm learning Java and c# at the same time :)

nutandevjoshi said:

@ModestasV Thanks Sir! Glad to receive answer. I was thinking of moving to Ruby On Rails as PHP devs are more and more day by day(Most of them are Cheap developers in terms of Code quality and Salary). So it is difficult for me to get well paid in herd of cheap devs. Should i move to RoR ?

Better learn NodeJS and C++ as they are the most payed jobs. If you want something equal to php try django

@sciasfreelancer : Hi , you say learn NodeJS. But just learning something wont give me job. Comeon , I have no experience in node.js(i just know some concepts and still learning). What is my future then?

About 2 years ago, I probably would have recommended ROR if you weren't in love with PHP. Also, Django and python is a very solid combination too. I almost left PHP at that time.

Today ... php with Laravel and/or symfony has really come to a point where ROR or Django are no longer that far ahead. The problem is not with PHP frameworks but the language itself. PHP 5.4 and have really started to show that PHP is no longer a "sloppy" language.

I would not go with CI anymore. I have heard that the company who created CI is using laravel now. (Rumors or true? I haven't googled it). CakePHP ... don't know enough except about 2 years ago it wasn't the go to framework anymore. Hipster talk??? possibly but I'd say if you do decide to stay with PHP I'd definitely keep with Laravel or Symfony as a solid choice. YII is also a consideration but I've heard people say it still feels like php 5.3 / 5.4 rather than a new and forward thinking framework.

Is laravel that much better? lol, I doubt it. Each framework normally has a really good solid point that you can use. Each framework has tradeoffs that you need to consider. I use laravel because I'm learning something everyday. Just the community and buzz alone has lots of talent drawing to it's "hipster" appeal and those people are bringing in a lot of talent that I'm taking advantage of.

sciasfreelancer said: Better learn NodeJS and C++ as they are the most payed jobs. If you want something equal to php try django

C++ if you are on the .net stack and NodeJS because it does rock! I know a CTO who has pushed several companies onto nodeJS stacks,however, he does realize that .NET is still a force in the business world.

So, is PHP logical choice? I'd say it really depends on the market you want to target/enter and your locale. IF you are in a area that hasn't bought into the MS stack and focuses on OpenSource then PHP maybe the right choice. The city I live in I can get away with php but if I were to move to another city I'd probably be looking at learning a different language and framework. Being idealistic is great only if you can pay your bills at the same time ;)

Yes laravel having Great future. Day by day lots of people interested to learn with laravel, and also it has been considered 2015 best php framework. I don't know about CodeIgniter. But recently i have seen this article about Laravel Vs CakePHP. http://agriyaservices.blogspot.in/2015/06/laravel-vs-cakephp-which-is-best-php.html

this link may help you choose php framework for your project

https://atulchaurasia.quora.com/Recommended-php-frameworks-for...

recommended php frameworks for your projects :-

cake php symphony codeigniter yii2 zend

Last updated 7 years ago.

I have been used a list of PHP related frameworks, also used CodeIgniter, CakePHP, and Laravel. But, when I come to the features and specification then I would recommend to laravel PHP frameworks. It is not best for me but also it recommended by other 70% of PHP developers. Why is Laravel best? You can check reason here, listed top PHP frameworks in 2017.

Hello,

We have written a blog regarding all the frameworks of PHP including laravel, cakephp and codeigniter. Here is the link :- http://www.zaptechsolutions.com/blog/top-7-php-web-development...

If you still have any doubt contact us anytime. We are a leading PHP website development Company offering customized services to clients.

http://www.zaptechsolutions.com/php-web-development.php

Last updated 6 years ago.

We tested 4 frameworks Laravel, CodeIgniter, Yii and CakePHP. Turns out, Laravel scored the best followed by following points.

• Trend and popularity
  • Structure and Updates
  • Libraries and online help
  • Database integration
  • Ease of development and templating
  • Developer cost

Laravel scored the best with 26/30 followed by CodeIgniter and CakePHP both roughly 22/30. This was an objective list. Although we cant hide the fact that we love Laravel.

Read full article at CodeIgniter vs Laravel vs Yii vs CakePHP

Last updated 6 years ago.

It’s very simple. Stick with what you know, and get your project/product into adoption and profitability. You can always pivot later if needed. I still use Codeigniter Framework Development heavily over the other PHP frameworks and will continue to do so, even for new project requests.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.