Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Meetups
Last updated 1 year ago.

One of the things that have put me off going to Amsterdam is the cost (not just the event, but travelling and accommodation) So by having it in the UK it would make it a lot cheaper for me, and would be up for going.

I think an important thing to think about is number of laravel devs in UK vs number in Amsterdam/Netherlands as I think for those further out it wont make much difference.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I too am uk based so London (or manchester :)) would make it more viable for me, however we need to remember Amsterdam is probably much more accessible to the rest of Europe which might be why that was chosen as the location

Last updated 1 year ago.

im always up for this stuff and moving to London next week, but I think theres nothing wrong with Amsterdam for a conference and two Laracons a year is plenty. Also there is a Laravel meetup in London, though they don't have many events

Last updated 1 year ago.

Well I hear someone is already working on something for the UK, but there's no information about it right now.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'd be up for a Laracon UK somewhere more central based in the country where everyone can get to, would be easier I think. But yeah keep us posted.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'd very much be up for a Laracon in London. But at the moment I can't help feel that it's rather expensive.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm in Birmingham, UK. London would be good for me also.

Accommodation isn't always so bad. The Youth Hostel Association has shared dorms for £25/night, private rooms for slightly more http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/london-st-pancras (clean, comfortable, central)

Alternatively, Birmingham! ;-)

Last updated 1 year ago.

I left the Birmingham area 2 years ago, I don't plan to go back :P

I'm still waiting for some more information regarding the Laracon UK that someone else is planning before I go ahead with this.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I don't want to give the game away right now, but stay tuned to my twitter! I have something on the way.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Just realised I wasn't following you on Twitter... I am now!

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'd be all for attending a London laracon, but in all fairness I'm not sure Amsterdam is too pricey, I'm working it out for about £600, full event, 2 nights accom, flights and £100 sustenance..

Overnight accommodation in London plus train tickets probably isn't that much lower I don't think, maybe 200 difference max? For those in London obviously this would be perfect

Last updated 1 year ago.

when? where?

Last updated 1 year ago.

As a UK based developer I would definitely love to see a UK event, however I think there are valid reasons for picking Amsterdam for the EU conf.

1. Amsterdam airport: It's huge, much bigger than most UK airports. This means loads of direct connections from Europe (we are flying direct from Exeter) but also from long haul destinations. In particular, US to UK direct flights are much less common than US to Amsterdam.

2. Rail links: If you aren't flying, the trains in Europe are much faster and more reliable than our UK offering (sorry, but it's true).

3. Beer: Now I'm not totally convinced on this yet but I'm told that beer in Amsterdam is pretty good.

Anyways, I'm going to Laracon EU and I'm looking forward to meeting more of you lot out there. If we did get a UK event, I'd be there too :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hello. I am also in the UK, Swindon. London is just up the motorway, so yes a London event would be nice. As previously said, I to can see why Amsterdam is a good idea. I personally don't have the cash for that sort of trip at the moment. But, as soon as I do I would like to attend.

Maybe the answer for UK/London in the short term is a meet up group? http://www.meetup.com.

Last updated 1 year ago.

clarkeash said:

One of the things that have put me off going to Amsterdam is the cost (not just the event, but travelling and accommodation)

Yep, flying to A'dam costs too much (no matter from which airport).

Last updated 1 year ago.

daylerees said:

I don't want to give the game away right now, but stay tuned to my twitter! I have something on the way.

A Laracon in ... CARDIFF! :P Laracardiff? Laracymru?

I'm London-based, but have no issues with going to Amsterdam. We are a little spoiled having all that we have in London, that's for sure, and it's really easy to forget that London isn't the center of the Universe (even though it is).

I haven't been to the London meetup yet (as I only got into Laravel a couple of months ago) but would certainly be interested in that as a first step.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

ollieread ollieread Joined 22 May 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.