Back

Validator : Greater than other field

dennusb posted 3 years ago

Hi,

I'm posting 2 inputboxes in my app which are both numeric. I want my validator to to this :

if field 2 is greater than field 1 = OK if field 2 is equal to or smaller than field 1 = FAIL

How can i do this?

neilpato22 replied 3 years ago

You need to extend the Validator Class

Validator::extend('greater_than', function($attribute, $value, $parameters)
{
    $other = Input::get($parameters[0]);

return isset($other) and intval($value) > intval($other);
});

$validation = Validator::make(Input::all(), ['field2' => 'greater_than:field1']);
nirsharony replied 2 years ago

Hi neilpato22,

How does one solve the problem if the validation needs to be done against some other local array that is passed as the first parameter to the Validator::make function and not on the Input::all() array?

In such case, the code in the closure does not have access to the local array. Is there a way to work around this problem?

My validation rules are defined in the Model and it was written in a way that separate the validation from the request. That is, I do not tie the validation to the existence of Input:all(). Instead, I pass an associative array to be validated.

Thanks

nirsharony replied 2 years ago

I found a solution to my own problem:

Before invoking the Validator::make() function, modify the set of rules by appending the value to compare to like so:

Validator::extend('greater_than', function($attribute, $value, $parameters)
{
    if (isset($parameters[1])) {
       $other = $parameters[1]);

return intval($value) > intval($other);
    } else {
      return true;
   }
});

$validation = Validator::make($input, ['field2' => 'greater_than:field1,' . $data['field1']]);
bigappleinsider replied 2 years ago

what's a good place in laravel folder structure to put validators if I want to share them?

bryanwokich replied 1 year ago

I'm putting them in the AppServiceProvider. Not sure this is best, but it seems to work well. Here's a complete minimal example.

<?php

namespace App\Providers;
use Validator;
use Input;
use Illuminate\Support\ServiceProvider;

class AppServiceProvider extends ServiceProvider
{
    /**
     * Bootstrap any application services.
     * @return void
     */
    public function boot()
    {
        Validator::extend('greater_than', function($attribute, $value, $params, $validator){

$other = Input::get($params[0]);
            return intval($value) > intval($other);
        });

Validator::replacer('greater_than', function($message, $attribute, $rule, $params) {
            return str_replace('_', ' ' , 'The '. $attribute .' must be greater than the ' .$params[0]);
        });

}

/**
     * Register any application services.
     * @return void
     */
    public function register()
    {
    }
}

aniljaiswal replied 4 months ago

Works like a charm!