Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Eloquent
Last updated 1 year ago.

Not use that particular accessor. Just a good old regular method or create a getDiscountedPriceAttribute($value) method. Accessors don't have to have a corresponding database column.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thanks shabushabu , but from the docs the getDiscountedPriceAttribute($val) method would need a 'discounted_price' column in the database to work wouldn't it? I am using the following Accessor to display the discounted price instead of the normal price:

public function getPriceAttribute($value) {
    if (count ( $this->specials ) > 0) {//any specials that this model is related to??
    foreach ( $this->specials as $s ) {//for all specials related to this object
        if ($this->onSpecialNow ()) {//if its current....
	    return $value * $s->discount; // ....return the discounted price
	} else {
	    return $value; // Otherwise return the normal price
	}
}
} else {
		return $value;//carry on as normal
	}
}

This works fine for displaying, but when I want to edit a model in my admin it also displays the discounted value and, as such, gets saved as this manipulated discount price. I have managed to reverse the original process with a Mutator on the same Model, but is there a better way?

Last updated 1 year ago.

Bulmer said:

Thanks shabushabu , but from the docs the getDiscountedPriceAttribute($val) method would need a 'discounted_price' column in the database to work wouldn't it? I am using the following Accessor to display the discounted price instead of the normal price:

public function getPriceAttribute($value) { if (count ( $this->specials ) > 0) {//any specials that this model is related to?? foreach ( $this->specials as $s ) {//for all specials related to this object if ($this->onSpecialNow ()) {//if its current.... return $value * $s->discount; // ....return the discounted price } else { return $value; // Otherwise return the normal price } } } else { return $value;//carry on as normal } }

This works fine for displaying, but when I want to edit a model in my admin it also displays the discounted value and, as such, gets saved as this manipulated discount price. I have managed to reverse the original process with a Mutator on the same Model, but is there a better way?

You can create an accessor without the same field in the database. What you could do is this:

public function getDiscountedPriceAttribute()
{
    $originalPrice = $this->price; // or $this->attributes['price']

// perform discount logic here

return $discountedPrice;
}

I often prefer to create my Accessors in this way so that I can always have access to the raw values coming out of the database.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. Details are a bit thin in that Chapter of the docs....Cheers.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Bulmer bulmer Joined 5 Mar 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.