Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Architecture
Last updated 2 years ago.

I guess you need to cache the images. so these methods are run only once.

You may also use a queue function to process the images on the background.

php.ini memory limit is set to 1Gig is a bad idea. if your server is getting many connections it will soon run out of memory and crash.

Thanks for your answer.

Caching: Those images are only rendered once. Next time they are rendered, there's a different crop, so caching doesn't seem to make sense, right?

Queue: Haven't been working with queues so far but that seems to be an idea. I Guess callback functions must be possible as well. I will dig into that

Memory Limit: You advise me to keep the limit open? The server is hosting a special multimedia content management system. It's not a frontend server, so you still think there might be the need to keep the limit open?

My progress so far: Using the backup() and reset() method I was able to reduce the rendering time drastically by over 50%. I only create and crop an image once. After that I have a loop where I start with the highest resize-size. Then I set a restore point with backup() and afterwards encode and save it. Next time I reset() the image from the restore point and have a smaller image to resize again which is faster.

Here's the code:

$filename_base = 'test';

// crop the image
$img->crop($pos['width'], $pos['height'], $pos['x'], $pos['y']);

// ----
// optimizing image resize speed:

// 1. resize steps
$resize = array( array( 'size_x' => $width[0],
						'compress' => $compress[0],
						'filename' => 'desktop' ),
				 array( 'size_x' => $width[1],
						'compress' => $compress[1],
						'filename' => 'mobile' ),
				 array( 'size_x' => $width[2],
						'compress' => $compress[2],
						'filename' => 'full' )
				);

// 2. sort array by size_x
// therefore I have a helpers function called cmp
usort($resize, "Helpers::cmp");

// 3. in order to save time we will start resizing with the biggest image and then continue to get smaller
for ($i = count($resize)-1;  $i >= 0;  $i = $i-1) { 

if($i < count($resize)-1)
		$img->reset();

// resize image
	$img->resize( $resize[$i]['size_x'], null, function($constraint) {
	    $constraint->aspectRatio();
	    $constraint->upsize();
	});

// create restore point
	$img->backup();

// encode image with individual compression
	$img->encode('jpg', $resize[$i]['compress']);

// save file to BLOB
	FileStore::add($connect_blob, Config::get('privateconfig.ablob1'), $filename_base.$resize[$i]['filename'].'.jpg', $img);

}

Still any ideas for improvements are more than welcomed.

Those images are only rendered once. Next time they are rendered, there's a different crop, so caching doesn't seem to make sense, right?

i guess so. can you please explain to me the actual use case of this script.

You advise me to keep the limit open? The server is hosting a special multimedia content management system. It's not a frontend server, so you still think there might be the need to keep the limit open?

ah. then it is a different case. cannot tell for sure until you run a load test on the server.

Did you try this without compression ? It will make big files yes but i think will make the whole process end faster.

Did you try this without compression ? It will make big files yes but i think will make the whole process end faster.

We are rendering the images for a multimedia reportage. These stories are viewed by thousands of users where a lot of them have a slow connection so image compression is crucial.

But hey I came up with a different approach ;) Once an image is resized it should be immediately rendered by the server. A Javascript calls a server function in the background where the image gets rendered. So if you work on a story with 50 images and you publish it in the end, you don't need to process all 50 photos as they are already on the server.

Last updated 9 years ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

pknecht pknecht Joined 8 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.