Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Validation
Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I quite get the scenario, but you might want to look at conditional rules: http://laravel.com/docs/validation#conditionally-adding-rules

I think you need to make it required (if the other option is set), otherwise the field is optional

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thanks elite123, I hadn't seen the 'sometimes' attribute before. I don't think it quite works for what I'm doing though (maybe I'm just not connecting the dots?).

As an example, I have a validator that requires a field only if a certain value is in an array (from HTML checkboxes). The problem is that just using Validate::extend(), it doesn't require this check. In other words, it only runs the validation against the value if it's present, it doesn't fail if it isn't. In order to require the check, I had to call on the Validator->addImplicitExtension() method. This works but I feel like it breaks the separation of logic because now I have validation declarations (acting on an instance of the Validation class) inside my CustomValidator class. Smells bad. :)

Am I missing something? Is there another way to do this?

Last updated 1 year ago.

This is probably a bit late, but for whoever this might be helpful. To create implicit extensions, use

Validator::extendImplicit( 'validator_name', function($attribute, $value, $parameters)
{
});

Now the validation rule will run even if the value is empty.

Last updated 1 year ago.

What if instead closure I want to extend the Validator class itself like shown in laravel 4.2 docs. How can I create implicit method extension ?

<?php

class CustomValidator extends Illuminate\Validation\Validator {

public function validateFoo($attribute, $value, $parameters)
    {
        return $value == 'foo';
    }

}

@filipzelic

A bit late, i know (also my first post here). This is what you can do:

<?php

class CustomValidator extends Illuminate\Validation\Validator {

public function __construct( $translator, $data, $rules, $messages = array(), $customAttributes = array() )
    {
        parent::__construct( $translator, $data, $rules, $messages, $customAttributes );
        $this->implicitRules[] = Str::studly('foo_bar');
    }    

public function validateFooBar($attribute, $value, $parameters)
    {
        return $value == 'foo' || $value == 'bar';
    }

}

Just add the rule to the $implicitRules array.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

mrberggg mrberggg Joined 10 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.