Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Database Eloquent
Last updated 1 year ago.

Hey Sean, welcome to the forums. I think you need to restructure your database a bit. You need pivot tables (yes, that was the right term ;) ) only for many to many relationships.

That means if a company has many users (which is the case for your application) AND a user can have many companies (which I think is not intended) you need a pivot table. Otherwise a reference to the company_id in the users table is sufficient.

Furthermore can a single asset belong to a user AND a company? E.g. if a asset is assigned to a user it's automatically also assigned to a company. If not you might even get rid of asset_user and asset_company and use a polymorphic relation with asset as the morphable instead. See http://laravel.com/docs/eloquent#polymorphic-relations for further information.

If you think you're okay with your current database structure you could look into "Has Many Through"-Relationships (http://laravel.com/docs/eloquent#has-many-through). They seem to do what you're planning.

Regards Alex

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi Alex. Thank you for the in depth reply and advice.

I guess I might be going about this the wrong way then. I just thought it would be easier having a companies_user table and an assets_company table for when I do lookups, so I wouldn't have to do any joins (I'm thinking less code).

I do need the asset_company table as an asset may belong to a company, but not to a user.

Thanks a lot, I'll take a look at redesigning my DB structure.

Last updated 1 year ago.

So,

Your db structure is like: "a user has many companies". But you ask: "give x of the company of a certain user".

• So that's not possible cus a user has Many companies,

• I suggest restructuring your db, but you could get all the assets of the First company of a user

$user = User::find( someid );

$user->companies()->first()->assets()->get(); // Or something like that

Or

$company = Company::whereHas('users', function($q) { $q->where('id', //someid//); })->with('assets')->first();

$assets = $company->assets;

// Many choices ! But i suggest you restructure your db & read the eloquent documents of laravel :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

LorenzV said:

So,

Your db structure is like: "a user has many companies". But you ask: "give x of the company of a certain user".

• So that's not possible cus a user has Many companies,

• I suggest restructuring your db, but you could get all the assets of the First company of a user

$user = User::find( someid );

$user->companies()->first()->assets()->get(); // Or something like that

Or

$company = Company::whereHas('users', function($q) { $q->where('id', //someid//); })->with('assets')->first();

$assets = $company->assets;

// Many choices ! But i suggest you restructure your db & read the eloquent documents of laravel :)

Thank you. I'll definitely give the docs a better read.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

i-am-sean i-am-sean Joined 20 Mar 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.