Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Cache Views Blade
Last updated 1 year ago.

You posting only a small bit of the problem isn't going to help.

What is $this->tweets? A collection/array of objects? How are they retrieved? What's in the partial view you're using to render a single tweet?

Last updated 1 year ago.

Apologies -- I've been banging my head against it so long I guess I can't explain it very well or think properly which bits are most relevant. Let's be more specific.

The controller runs

echo "debug 1: "; print_r($socialData->tweets);
return View::make('public.social', ['socialData' => $socialData]);

$socialData is an object which has many methods on it which are called from the public.social view -- things to get the title of the social feed, its URL, and getFeedHtml to print out the feed itself. One such object (the Twitter one) has a property $tweets which is an array of data structures describing tweets, pulled from the Twitter API or cache.

So in public.social we have, for instance,

<div class="social-feed">
    debug 2: {{{ print_r($socialData->tweets, true) }}}
    {{ $socialData->getFeedHtml() }}
</div>

That method looks a little like the following:

$html = '';
foreach ($this->tweets as $tweet) {
    echo "debug 3: "; print_r($tweet);
    $html .= View::make('public.social.twitter.tweet', [
        'date' => Carbon::parse($tweet->created_at, Config::get('app.timezoneDisplay')),
         'tweet' => $tweet,
    ])->render();
}
return $html;

The public.social.twitter.tweet view includes a chunk like this:

<div class="social-message">
        debug 4: {{{ print_r($tweet, true) }}}
	{{ SocialTwitterData::getMessageHtml($tweet) }}
</div>

The getMessageHtml static method is looking at the object and turning it into HTML (in particular, it's wrapping links around hashtags etc).

In the above setup, 100% of the time I get the first tweet five times, rather than five different tweets. You'll see I put debug messages in the above.

Debug 1 (controller, before main view starts to render) shows the correct data: the array of five tweets. Debug 2 (in the main view) shows the same. Debug 3 (in the getMessageHtml method, for each tweet) shows five separate tweets (correct). Debug 4 (in the tweet partial) shows the first tweet's data structure five times.

Next, as I said in my original post, if I run getMessageHtml in the controller and pass the HTML it generates to the main view and then have the view just echo that, I get correct output for 90% of the feeds I've run it on. On the other 10% I still get the first tweet repeated five times. I have no idea why this might be.

Does this clear up the issue? Is there any more information I can give which might help?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm still stuck on this. Anyone able to help?

Last updated 1 year ago.

A suggestion I have is to run a for loop instead of a foreach, or even manually repeating them out if need be, just to see if the foreach itself is holding onto the data. Or even clone the $tweet variable before sending it to the view.

Last updated 1 year ago.
Solution

Thanks, beaverusiv, but I'm pretty sure the debug output above shows that the data passed to the view was just fine -- only its output seemed to be holding on to old values.

But yesterday after my last post here I spent some time boiling the situation down to the basics, seen at https://github.com/laravel/framework/issues/4090 and I became convinced it's a bug in the templating system.

It turns out it's an issue with the sections. Using @overwrite to end the sections rather than @endsection (@endsection is the same as @stop) clears it up for me.

I still believe it's a bug, because at least in my test case there's nothing already assigned to the section which could be overwritten anyway as far as I can see, but this works as a solution for now.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thanks for your solution, tremby. I have the same problem using renderSections() on a foreach loop for HTML table rows, and @overwrite seems to make it work.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

tremby tremby Joined 23 Mar 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.