Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Views
Last updated 1 year ago.

My preferred way is to work with a designer - they will usually come up with the concept and we'll develop it from there (typically there might be changes made due to usability issues or to fit the design into a flexible template)

I then tend to get PSDs or elements to the agreed specs - although more and more we drop images/elements for html generated stuff.

I would undertake all the CSS and HTML as I tend to generate this programatically

I guess it comes down to the individuals skill sets

Last updated 1 year ago.

My favorite is when you are hired as a developer and are then asked if you can do that fancy photoshop stuff too.

I usually decline such jobs It's just not within my range of responsibilities.

I also like to work with at least one designer who will also slice all the pieces I need. But the coding of the layout will be completely done by me, since many of the designers just do not have the frontend skills you can build upon.

Last updated 1 year ago.

To me it is whatever you want it to be, but generally related to your experience/expertise. The better you get at your job, the more you can concentrate on that and relegate other duties.

What I mean is, someone just starting out should expect to do everything, or outsource tasks they won't/can't do on their own dime. As you get better and take on bigger jobs you can dictate more of what your duties are like stating you do not do design work or you don't manage server setup etc.

If you are in a situation where you have been given a PSD with no real annotations, you have several options which depend on how you've been employed or what you've been employed to do.

If you are in a team and you have a person whose job title is designer you can discuss with them or your boss(es) about how to up their game and get hover states, animations, form validation states and responsive design notes generated from then on.

If you are a freelancer as you have stated and you find yourself in this position it is completely up to you to fill in the blanks. You can explain to them what you might need but often if you've been brought in they've brought in a designer too and this likely means that PSD isn't getting improved (they've done their job and gotten paid already). So it is then a matter of deciding how much effort you put into it because at the end of the day you need your work to sell itself so you can show off all your projects.

This is mostly speculation on my part I guess, I have been lucky enough to work in teams all my career which means steady pay and a nice stream of work within my dictated role (at first I was everything including sysadmin on the servers but now I'm only dev and 90% backend dev, yay!).

Last updated 1 year ago.

I've always accepted the fact that I'm not a designer. I've tried but it's just not my calling. I've outsourced to some great designers and I've even been tempted to go with one of those PDS to HTML companies that charges anywhere from $99-$200 to do the work for you. As the coder, you should have no problem taking that HTML and CSS and applying it to your Laravel application.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

bagwaa bagwaa Joined 13 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.