Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation Laravel.io Architecture
Last updated 1 year ago.

I doubt that you are going to have 1M users soon, but Laravel should scale okay. I don't have experience with that kind of users, but it really depends on what you want to do. Laravel supports multiple database, cache storages, queue systems etc, so it is very flexible. You can setup different connections for read/write operations, use APC/opcache for faster loading, varnish for caching http requests, memcached for storage etc etc, so I don't know where you see any problems?

Just don't expect to hire a cheap VPS/shared hosting account and serve millions of requests every day..

Last updated 1 year ago.

In short: It's as scalable as any other decent PHP framework. Plus maybe more support towards being better, because it has good built-in support for tools that help in scalability (e.g. queues).

Your PHP framework will rarely be your bottleneck in a large application. That's usually a bad/misconfiguration, db issue, or just bad programming.

Last updated 1 year ago.

barryvdh said:

I doubt that you are going to have 1M users soon, but Laravel should scale okay. I don't have experience with that kind of users, but it really depends on what you want to do. Laravel supports multiple database, cache storages, queue systems etc, so it is very flexible. You can setup different connections for read/write operations, use APC/opcache for faster loading, varnish for caching http requests, memcached for storage etc etc, so I don't know where you see any problems?

Just don't expect to hire a cheap VPS/shared hosting account and serve millions of requests every day..

i an not much aware to scalability concept and never built big applications,now i am working on something like watsapp ,so i need to just know that ,is framework selection gonna affect my app performance and do i need to make any change in my code when no of users increased and when i started working on multiple servers,please help me out ,i have no experience of building large scale apps ,

Last updated 1 year ago.

Much bigger issue with most startup projects has been more to attract users than actually scaling your application. As soon as you receive enough attention to really need attention, you generally already have either the investors or the income to have external help/hire people to solve this for you.

However, as most said, Laravel should scale quite well, of course, depending on what you want to do: Pick the right tool for the right job. "something like watsapp" needs to be defined much more. If you simply want to copy their concept, I wouldn't really use PHP at all. WhatsApp is about mobile apps and server infrastructure that handles real-time events. Golang, Erlang and maybe Node.js comes in mind then.

If it's more a general community with additional chat functionality: Use Laravel to build that website and use something with better async support to just handle the chat stuff.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

spsethi spsethi Joined 4 Apr 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.