Last updated 1 year ago.

JS:

$('select#categories').change(function() {
    var category = $(this).val();
    $.ajax({
        category: category,
        url: '/categories/get-subcategories'
    }).done(function(subcategories) {
        // subcategories is json, loop over it and populate the subcategory select
    });
});

PHP:

$subcategories = SubCategory::select('name')
    ->where('parent', Input::get('category'))
    ->get()->toArray();

return Response::json(compact('subcategories'));
Last updated 1 year ago.

Anthony only a question the php code would get the category from Input::get('subcategory') or using the category value?

Last updated 1 year ago.

You'e right, let me update it :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

thanks for the start, but i'm still running into issues. i added console.log to the following but it's returning an empty array. but when i load the view in the browser and provide a category id, it returns a json value

$('select#categories').change(function() {
    var category = $(this).val();
    $.ajax({
        category: category,
        url: '/categories/get-subcategories'
        console.log(subcategories);

$.each(subcategories, function(i, item)
        {
               subcategoryItems+= "<option value=''>" + item.subcategory_name + "</option>";
         });

});
});

i'm assuming that's how i loop through the json correct? well the array is always empty when the change() occurs.

when viewing the view /resource-categories/get-resource-subcategories?category=1, i get the following

{"subcategories":[{"resource_subcategory_name":"Articles"},{"resource_subcategory_name":"Mentor-Mentee "},{"resource_subcategory_name":"Registrar"},{"resource_subcategory_name":"Peer Reviewer Application"}]}
Last updated 1 year ago.

Shouldn't it be data.subcategories ?

Last updated 1 year ago.

mcraz said:

Shouldn't it be data.subcategories ?

i get a "ReferenceError: data is not defined" when i used it with console.log(data.subcategories). i may have misunderstood you, i'm still a noob at this

edit: i see what you're saying now about data. http://api.jquery.com/jquery.get/

i will try that

Last updated 1 year ago.

ok so here's where i made some adjustments

$.ajax({
        data: category,
        url: '/resource-categories/get-resource-subcategories'
    });

rather than use category:category, i replaced it with data:category. it looks like it's passing it now. my url looks like resource-categories/get-resource-subcategories?value_of_category so if category id = 9, the url is resource-categories/get-resource-subcategories?9. unfortunately, it wont work unless it's resource-categories/get-resource-subcategories?category=9. how do i get the querystring to be that?

Last updated 1 year ago.
Solution

got it! geez i was missing the top level of json. the json value looks like this

{"subcategories":[{"id":5,"resource_subcategory_name":"Articles"},{"id":7,"resource_subcategory_name":"Mentor-Mentee "},{"id":9,"resource_subcategory_name":"Registrar"},{"id":10,"resource_subcategory_name":"Peer Reviewer Application"}]}

i couldn't get the value when i used

$each(subcategories, function(i, item) {
  console.log(item.resource_subcategory_name);
});

i had to make json...

result{"subcategories":[{"id":5,"resource_subcategory_name":"Articles"},{"id":7,"resource_subcategory_name":"Mentor-Mentee "},{"id":9,"resource_subcategory_name":"Registrar"},{"id":10,"resource_subcategory_name":"Peer Reviewer Application"}]}

# this works
$each(result.subcategories, function(i, item) {
  console.log(item.resource_subcategory_name);
});

it's weird why i had to do that but it works now. thanks everyone

Last updated 1 year ago.

you should be able to get the correct formatting of the json with: $subcategories = SubCategory::select('name') ->where('parent', Input::get('category')) ->get()->lists('name','id');

return Response::json(compact('subcategories'));

if you want to have your query as ?category=9 you can just look for that input value in your function, soemthing like function subcategories() { $category = Input::get('category'); //..... }

Last updated 1 year ago.

wing5wong said:

What is your php for retrieving the data? you should be able to get the correct formatting with: $categories-><whatever>()->lists(name,id)

no issues with php, it was mainly the the javascript stuff. i was able to retrieve the categories fine, retrieve the subcategories as well. part of the problem was when the change() in jquery gets triggered, the get variable wasn't passing properly. i figured that part out, then i had the problem with looping through json. then i found my error, and now it's working.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

w1n78 w1n78 Joined 21 Apr 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.