Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Cache Database Eloquent
Last updated 1 year ago.

I think this SQL Fiddle is a way of achieving what I want: http://www.sqlfiddle.com/#!2/e5bab/5

Last updated 1 year ago.

If your SQL query is correct (I don't know why there is "join users u" though), it can be written using Query Builer like so:

DB::table('posts')
    ->leftJoin('user_likes', function($join) {
        $join->on('user_likes.post_id', '=', 'posts.id')
            ->where('user_likes.user_id', '=', 1);
    })
    // If you want you may select only some of the fields like so:
    //->select('posts.id as post_id', 'posts.title', 'user_likes as did_i_like')
    ->groupBy('posts.id')
    ->orderBy('posts.id');
Last updated 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for your answer Amegatron!

I have one question: Right now, I have the paginated posts cached, and then each User has a cached collection of the posts ids that they liked, so when they log in, I'll check if each post is in the user's liked post collection.

$liked = Auth::user()->getLikedPosts(); // returns a cached collection of the User liked posts ids
$posts = Post::popular(1); // returns a cached and paginated index of the most popular posts.

Then, I'll check if the liked collection contains the post id:

foreach($posts as $post)
{
  if($liked->contains($post->id)
   {
     // show red Heart
   }
   else
   {
    // show gray heart
   }

I think It's not a good way of doing it, since the $liked collection will be growing a lot... However, with the new Query, I really don't know how could I cache the posts, so that I don't have to query the Database each time a user logs in or navigates throught the posts.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm also currently thinking of implementing "likes" functionality on my site. And if I were you, I would certainly cache likes counter inside Post model. So, I think there is no problem getting the list of popular posts using query builder like I described earlier: you would simply get the list of posts with already-set flag telling whether current user has liked a certain post or not. So, for the popular posts the last orderBy would change to smth like orderBy('posts.likes', 'DESC');

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hello again!

So, if I understand, the posts would never be cached? I mean, If I have many logged in users, navigating throught the website, every time they refresh or change section a new query would be executed to the database, so that I'd end up with many queries at the same time, right? I think that it could be a problem

Thanks in advance :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

You may use your suggested approach, but instead of retreiving all liked posts, you may add whereIn clause to select only those which are in $posts collection. And then again walk through the $posts collection to determine, whether it is in $likes collection. I think that will be fast enough.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Gelurban said:

Hello, thanks for your answer Amegatron!

I have one question: Right now, I have the paginated posts cached, and then each User has a cached collection of the posts ids that they liked, so when they log in, I'll check if each post is in the user's liked post collection.

$liked = Auth::user()->getLikedPosts(); // returns a cached collection of the User liked posts ids $posts = Post::popular(1); // returns a cached and paginated index of the most popular posts.

Then, I'll check if the liked collection contains the post id:

foreach($posts as $post) { ....... if($liked->contains($post->id) { // show red Heart } else { // show gray heart } .......

I think It's not a good way of doing it, since the $liked collection will be growing a lot... However, with the new Query, I really don't know how could I cache the posts, so that I don't have to query the Database each time a user logs in or navigates throught the posts.

Thanks in advance! :)

@Gelurban what is your code in getLikedPosts() function? I want to know how to cache the relation.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Gelurban gelurban Joined 23 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.