Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Configuration Requests Views
Last updated 1 year ago.

meaning you are talking about global scope variables which is its value can be override?

You could create a global scope (view share) variable and just override it in your class as mentioned by tajulasri

you can use view composer

in AppServiceProvider you can do something like that

public function boot()
{

$views = ['user.profile'];

View::compose($views , function ($view){
      $view->with('testvar','hello');
  });

}

so each time the view 'user.profile' get called it will have the $testvar

https://laravel.com/docs/5.4/views#view-composers

You can use view composer or view share to share the variables in the view Blade files.

I don't think the author was thinking about the global scopes / view composers but only about not needing to pass an array of variables in each controller action.

The thing that you need is get_defined_vars() - it gets all defined variables in the current scope. See the dummy code below:

$notVisible1 = 1;

function view($name, $arguments) {
    return "{$name} => " . json_encode($arguments) . "\n";
}

class TestClass {
    public function test()
    {
        $a = 1;
        $b = 2;

return view('viewName', get_defined_vars());
    }
}

$notVisible2 = 2;
$tc = new TestClass();
echo $tc->test(); // output: viewName => {"a":1,"b":2}

I'm not advocating the use of this since it can easily make the views polluted with variables that should never be available there but I understand where it is coming from

Passing all defined vars to the view can be dangerous if you provide default data (e.g. current user) from your ViewComposer.

I would say it is always a good idea to be explicit about what gets passed to the view.

I agree with @fetzi. I don't like to much magic going on outside of my control :-) Also - we call it controllers so we can control stuff in there :-)

It's true that it can be dangerous and it will pass down the function arguments too (since they are defined variables)

but it shouldn't be too dangerous if used with caution - the blade files are written by devs not by the end user so echoing crucial data should not be an issue and dumping the view data on exception should be disabled on production environments by default anyway.

I would worry more about multiple variables with the same name and accidental overwrites that could end with unexpected behavior.

To be on the safer side one could pass only variables that are explicitly named for example only the ones that begin with the 'view*'

function filter(array $variables)
{
    $prefix = 'view';
    return array_filter($variables, function ($key) use ($prefix) {
        return substr($key, 0, 4) === $prefix;
    }, ARRAY_FILTER_USE_KEY);
}

// and then in controller action
$a = 1;
$b = 2;
$viewVariable = 'asd';
return view('viewName', filter(get_defined_vars())); // returns: ['viewVariable' => 'asd']

Personally I wouldn't use this since it feels hacky and generates unneeded overhead compared to manually entering an array that should be passed to view

I still wouldn't be using it, but it's a nice solution to still keep it under control :)

Now that I'm thinking about it - one could reverse the filter to exclude variables starting with underscore ($_var) to get back in time and get the feeling like it is a PHP4 again, lol ;)

at the Controller level: you can set variables to the view thought the share() method in the constructor

public function __construct()
{
    View::share('testvar', 'hello'); // or app('view')->share('testvar', 'hello');
}

at the App level:

https://laravel.com/docs/5.4/views#sharing-data-with-all-views

Last updated 6 years ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

desbest desbest Joined 25 May 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.