Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Validation
Last updated 1 year ago.

You can ignore an id :

'username' => 'required|unique:staff_user,username' . $this->id
Last updated 1 year ago.

No good I'm afraid even with the missing comma after the username field that does not work, it still reverts to checking for an 'id' field in the database.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You can specify the primary key name and other fields to ignore with the unique rule, just read the doc.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Of course you should have the extra conditions on update, and should not have them on create, i misread your question. I agree it's a bit strange but it is the way to go.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I like to do it this way :

$username = ($this->username) ?: 'NULL';

public $rules = array(
     'forename'=>'required|alpha|min:2',
     'surname'=>'required|alpha|min:2',
     'upn' => 'required|unique:staff_user',
     'username' => "required|unique:staff_user,username,$username,username"
);
Last updated 1 year ago.

Remains unsolved.

Last updated 1 year ago.

the snippet above doesnt work ? Whats the error ?

Last updated 1 year ago.

The SQL query it generates is garbage, I can get it to work if I reference the other unique field in the table so:

$this->rules['username'] = "required|unique:staff_user,username,{$this->username},upn,$upn";

With upn being the other unique field in the db and that creates the following query:

select count(*) as aggregate from `staff_user` where `username` = username and `upn` <> upn

That seems to make more sense, as the originally generated query would always evaluate to false..

Last updated 1 year ago.

Ok. of course I was wrong :

"required|unique:staff_user,username,$username,username"

Is a nonsense because you want the username to be unique across the staff_user table without the lines that contains this username... So the rule is always respected. You should stick to the conventions and add an id field to this table, then when updating you can exclude the corresponding line as I shown earlier.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I had similar update problem where I had users table with primary key as username and also a unique email field. What I did was ....

'username' => 'required|max:20|unique:users,username,'.$user->username.',username',
   'email' => 'required|email|max:60|unique:users,email,'.$user->username.',username',   
Last updated 8 years ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.