Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Installation
Last updated 1 year ago.

It's easy to learn, faster development time, use of migrations, speed, RESTful routing, Its own templating engine, easy to do tests with, composer powered, Symfony components,, Eloquent ORM for ease of use.

Need I go on.......

By far the best framework around and has been for the past couple of years and it's getting stronger.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You are of course going to get mainly laravel positive questions asking this in the laravel forum. But for me it just made sense (coming from CI) after the initial learning curve of composer etc. I tried yii, but we didn't get on,

They are both decent frameworks - so go with what works for you and the team

Last updated 1 year ago.

As I convinced my employer to switch here are some arguments:

• I'll get this one out the way first - Yii (and version 2) seem to be very slow in development. 2.0 beta has been out for 4 months, I can't see it reaching a releasable state before the end of the year. Laravel is giving significant updates every three months, and bugfix releases are released when available.
  • Laravel Works with Composer (Yii2 will apparently), this means we get heavily used and tested libraries like Monolog, Carbon (for date/times) and Whoops for error checking http://filp.github.io/whoops/
  • Building a RESTful API was so much easier, even when I had to extend parts of the code base.
  • 3rd party services - I integrated Bugsnag in under an hour, and had it fully integrated in 3 hours with custom data and userIDs sent to it as well. Starting at $29/month this has cut our bug fix time by 75%. It has paid for itself many items over and we can triage the issues that affect the most people or are most severe it is so easy to install
  • Local development is easier with a Vagrant setup
  • Easy to follow coding syntax.
  • Environment configuration has been so much easier with Laravel, easy to use when you have development/staging/production environments/databases. I just read that you have to change a constant to turn off debug mode in Yii2 - Laravel will detect the host name and pick up the appropriate settings. Deployments are far easier with Laravel.
  • Lots of packages available at http://www.packalyst.com/ - your team might not even have to write some features.

Learning resources - I had to learn Yii from a few blog posts and their documentation sigh, compare this with Laravel:

• Excellent documentation - just look at the official website, it's gets you coding in minutes.
  • Laracasts - I have improved not just in Laravel, but PHP in general. I'm now about 20% more efficient (and for somebody who has been coding for years that's quite something!)
  • Books on Leanpub - lots of them, all excellent and being updated regularly.

Also

• Great community: forums, chat, local groups springing up, conferences etc.

If you combine the docs, Laracasts and a few eBooks you can be making meaningful code contributions within a week, and advanced ones within a month. I haven't hit any major hurdles like I have in Yii.

I hope this helps! Try picking a few topics (like Environment Configuration or Mandrill email integration, whatever you plan to use it for) and compare what you would need to do with Yii and Laravel. I'm confident that Laravel will win 90% of the battles!

Last updated 1 year ago.

Yii was a nightmare at the time I tried it well over a year ago. There was hardly any decent docs and I spent my time trying to make sense of the code. Any project that does not give a high priority to the documentation has no credibility. It felt like there was an inner sanctum led by the guru and all others including myself were outsiders. I am not a beginner. I have more programming experience than most people reading this have been alive. But Yii was impregnable. It should be renamed Hurdle.

In contrast I am very happy with Laravel. It was a pleasant experience. If I had to change anything in Laravel it would be to simplify the features where there are two or more ways of doing the same thing. Some call it flexibility. I call it confusion.

Last updated 1 year ago.

jgestiot said:

Yii was a nightmare at the time I tried it well over a year ago. There was hardly any decent docs and I spent my time trying to make sense of the code. Any project that does not give a high priority to the documentation has no credibility.

Couldn't agree more with that. I need to spend my time producing with a framework, with Yii I was just trying to understand it.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I too made the switch from Yii to Laravel. I tried Yii 2 and it was just way too much of a hassle to get anything to work right. Their documentation also leaves much to be desired. It just was not practical and, although I am new to Laravel, I was able to get things done much faster and more efficiently. I don't think I will ever look back.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Oh, this chart should really spell it out. It's not an exact science, but the chart shows how Laravel's relative growth eclipses the competition!

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=laravel%2C%20yii%2C%20%...

Take everything I mentioned above and imagine what it will be like in a year's time! ;-)

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi you can get information from here. http://agriyaservices.blogspot.in/2015/07/which-is-best-php-framework-laravel-vs.html

For this content explain about importance of laravel and importance of Yii. I hope this content will be helpful for you!

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

shtricul shtricul Joined 20 Aug 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.