Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Installation
Last updated 2 years ago.

Wait, learn same thing twice? Are you not familiar with Laravel at all?

How experienced are you with OO programming? Do you understand SOLID principles? Familiar with git? Composer?

Laravel 5 is definitely awesome, and I'm using it in a project for a client right now, but it's had some hiccups for sure. If you're not extremely confident, I'd recommend Laravel 4.2. It's not going to be like re-learning from scratch and all of your knowledge is rendered useless when you switch to Laravel 5.

laravel has been a doing big leaps... from 3 - 4 was a big change, then 4 - 5 is another big change. It's like every new major change is a new paradigm.

Unless 5 is a strict requirement I would recommend with 4.2. I just find that any new technology takes a few months at least to mature, the documentation, resources (videos, tutorials, forum threads anything else), gotchas to be available.

Relearning - well, as a programmer - that is an occupational hazard (or opportunity, depending on how you look at it I suppose).

I am having the same issue, I work on CodeIgniter and waiting till Laravel 5 become stable to jump.

I've got a project that will take sometime to finish, was expecting it to be the perfect timing if I can do that in laravel 5.

4.2 and 5 has a lot of changes I guess, every time I composer update, it breaks my code ;-( Now I am reverting everything back to CodeIgniter. Maybe I am not ready for Laravel yet.

I'm familiar with git and composer is a really nice thing!
As for OO programming - I know Java & C++. OO principles & design patterns are not a problem for me. I know that the programming = learning, but I wonder if it's worth to learn the things the 4.2 way and then switch to 5.

@mikerogne - that's a good sign for me that you're using it for a client.

Thanks a lot for all the insight.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

szegad szegad Joined 24 Nov 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.