Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Eloquent
Last updated 1 year ago.

very interesting, I'm going to implement it as well

Last updated 1 year ago.

I've changed something

public function save(array $options = array())
{
    if ($this->subclassField) {
        $this->attributes[$this->subclassField] = get_class($this);
    }

return parent::save($options); // return boolean
}

In my project I check if the model is saved buy doing something like

$image = $this->image->newInstance();
$image->name = 'test image';

return $image->save() ? $image : null;

By returning parent::save($options) I can check if the save went ok

Last updated 1 year ago.

@zenry

I agree that the parent::save() should be returned. This is something that I've since implemented as well. I've updated the original post to reflect the change.

Last updated 1 year ago.

This is a really neat idea. With a side project I'm working on I might look at using this approach. I'll have a whole bunch of incidents, such as fire, car accident, flood, etc. Single Table Inheritance should make this a whole lot easier.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm looking into using STI for my users table. I'm using Sentry and have 9 different user groups, and my User model is becoming obscene with all logic required for different types of users. This way I can have a base User class, and then either have a class for each user group, or a few different classes to represent similar user groups.

Regarding adding nullable columns: I completely agree. Although, if your data starts to change over time (i.e. in the case of different user groups, maybe new fields are required only for a subset of the groups) you can split it up into another table (i.e. admin_user_profile, member_user_profile).

Last updated 1 year ago.

Seems to be working well. I just wanted to share one change I made:

public function newQuery($excludeDeleted = true)
{
    $builder = parent::newQuery($excludeDeleted);

// if this is a subclass, add the subclass field to the query
    if ($this->subclassField && $this->isSubclass()) {
        $builder->where($this->subclassField, '=', get_class($this));
    }

return $builder;
}

It looked like the only change to the newQuery function was adding in the where clause for the subclassField, so I just have it call the parent method, and then customize the returned builder and return it. This also helps remove the L4.0/L4.1 check mentioned in the comments.

Please let me know if anyone sees any issues with this.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread; I wanted to mention that I found this very helpful, but in t removed the whole $isSubclass approach, and replaced the function with the following:

public function isSubclass()
{
   return (get_parent_class($this) != self::class && is_subclass_of($this,self::class));
}

In my testing so far, this seems to work well regardless of what I name the abstract class, and doesn't require a specific variable in each of my subclass models.

That said, let me know if there are issues with this approach that I may not have encountered yet.

ryanabrams change works just fine, in PHP <= 5.4 you have to use CLASS instead of self::class though.

public function isSubclass()
    {
        return (
            get_parent_class($this) != __CLASS__
            && is_subclass_of($this, __CLASS__)
        );
    }
Last updated 9 years ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.