Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Installation
Last updated 1 year ago.

Do you have Mcrypt installed/enabled? I don't use a mac, but I have seen posts where the command line is using a different version of php to MAMP so I would check that

Last updated 1 year ago.

on a Mac you already have PHP, not sure how this MAMP works but I think if you use PHP on the command line it will use the Mac version instead of the MAMP version

Last updated 1 year ago.

Thanx elite123 and zenry for your help. searched for the fix every where. still no one was able to give me a good explanation . Everyone says something different and it wasted alot of my time. So i think im done with this!!

NOT HAPPY WITH LARAVEL AT ALL!! Ashish

Last updated 1 year ago.

ashish64 said:

Thanx elite123 and zenry for your help. searched for the fix every where. still no one was able to give me a good explanation . Everyone says something different and it wasted alot of my time. So i think im done with this!!

Have you even tried the suggestions to ensure that the PHP version on the command line is the same as the version in MAMP? This is a very common issue in Mac OS, and it's almost certainly the problem here.

Last updated 1 year ago.

ashish64 said:

Mcrypt is a PHP plugin, nothing to do with Laravel

Yes Laravel needs it but any other decent framework needs it to.

Research the web on how to use the the built in PHP on your Mac or how to properly install MAMP on your Mac

Last updated 1 year ago.

Try this: http://www.metaltoad.com/blog/getting-command-line-access-php-... -- make sure to adjust for your current versions of MAMP etc. It is likely that this tutorial won't work as a copy paste solution to your problem. Read it and try and understand what they are doing as your problem is fairly common, and the solution is quite basic.

You can find out what php binary is running from your command line by running the "which php" command from the terminal window. If this doesn't point to the binary stored in your /Applications/MAMP/.. folder then the issue is that you are running one version of php through apache and another (the default mac os x install) when running from the command line.

You vent angrily about being "done" with Laravel but you haven't even figured out how to get it installed properly. If you think this is a pain, try installing Symfony given your current setup, or for that matter, any of the mature php frameworks. I would guess from your tone and writing that you have limited experience developing on a mac, or with php - perhaps you should brush up on your system and it's tools and try again?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I used to run MAMP and never had trouble with laravel, but i've since switched to working remote on rackspace. It seems its a mac/mammp issue. Your mac should already have a web server running, simply use that or you could always use the guys that this forum is hosted on just to play around. I think its free for testing. Here is the link. http://fortrabbit.com/pricing

I wouldn't give up on Larval just yet. Try a different server, it's really quite the framework. :-)

Last updated 1 year ago.

To make it easy for the original poster, the full path to add for MAMP 5.5.3 in the shell's profile would be: /Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.5.3/bin

I just recently did this for a co-worker and I needed to put it at the beginning of the path statement instead of the end.

The other alternative is to use something like Homebrew to add mcrypt to the built in version of PHP on OS X. Here's one of many, many tutorials on the web for this: http://jenssegers.be/blog/49/installing-the-php-mcrypt-extensi...

I used the latter solution on my MBP even though I do have MAMP Pro installed since I also use Vagrant and may ditch MAMP altogether at some point.

As stated already, this isn't really a Laravel issue, plus the docs make it clear that mcrypt is required: http://laravel.com/docs/installation#server-requirements

Last updated 1 year ago.

Yes i have. I have tried all of the suggestions that i got here.... and everywhere over the internet. I even Tried to reinstall my MAMP server.... reset the Global Paths and everything.... i know im missing something... i wouldnt say its laravel's or composer 's fault. but on one has been able to point it out exactly.

Ashish

AndrewBNZ said:

ashish64 said:

Have you even tried the suggestions to ensure that the PHP version on the command line is the same as the version in MAMP? This is a very common issue in Mac OS, and it's almost certainly the problem here.

Last updated 1 year ago.

thanks everyone.

I will again try to reinstall MAMP. use php5.5.3 as default php and see what happens... though i have done that once already. i'd repeat it just incase if i have missed something.

Ashish

Last updated 1 year ago.

i reinstalled MAMP server and ran composer and it ran everything smoothly still dont know what was the problem

Ashish

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi,

Open the Terminal and run this command: which PHP

Tell me what you get!

Last updated 1 year ago.

which php gives me this!! /Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php5.5.3/bin//php

Looks like i have installed laravel 4 at this moment coz composer didnt returned any error

Ashish

Last updated 1 year ago.

I really don't like mamp :(

I just work with what OSX comes with and then brew most things and use the dmg installer from MySQL. Have to fiddle with the command line at times but the amount of trouble that can be spent on getting mamp working could easily be invested in the terminal and you walk away with something besides a working apache install that is tied to an app.

No, I do not prefer the terminal and Yes, I prefer 1 click installations when ever possible.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that tweaking OSX's PHP and other services could run into trouble upon OS upgrades.

Like rufhausen, I just went vagrant, guaranteed a successful install script that enforces a specific set of dependencies, and sleep soundly knowing that my setup will work perfectly for the foreseeable future (at the very least the install script means I can push my app onto any freshly-imaged VPS anywhere). It takes (a little bit) of commandline-fu, though.

Last updated 1 year ago.

The best alternative to running stuff like MAMP but still stay on your local machine is to run a Virtual Machine of some flavor of Linux and use it as a local Apache server running PHP. Works very well for this. Everything stays on your local machine. You can run it from anywhere. etc.

Last updated 1 year ago.

@Jakobud: vagrant is exactly that, with the added convenience of having special files that configure the VM and launch an install script to get the versions of PHP, MySQL, composer etc all in one command line. Then you can commit these files to your version control, and everyone can develop in the same clean environment that you do! Laravel's migrations and seeding make this especially smooth.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd personally recommend trying Bitnami's MAMPstack before totally giving up on Laravel. Laravel and several other frameworks come preinstalled with Bitnami's MAMPstack. It's crazy simple.

1. Install the app and open it.
  2. Start the servers.
  3. Click "Open Application Folder".
  4. Click "use_mampstack". This opens the the apps own bash terminal.
  5. cd into the laravel folder ("cd /Applications/mampstack-5.4.24-0/frameworks/laravel")
  6. type "php artisan serve" and you'll see "Laravel development server started on http://localhost:8000".
  7. Type that into your browser. DONE.

https://bitnami.com/stack/mamp

Last updated 1 year ago.

in my case, i updated composer then the problem had been gone.

try > sudo composer self-update

my environment is OSX v10.9 MAMP 2.2 with PHP 5.5.3 installed. before update composer, i got following error

Writing lock file
Generating autoload files
{"error":{
"type":"Symfony\\Component\\Debug\\Exception\\FatalErrorException",
"message":"Class 'Monolog\\Logger' not found",
"file":"\/Applications\/MAMP\/htdocs\/xxxxx\/vendor\/laravel\/framework\/src\/Illuminate\/Log\/LogServiceProvider.php",
"line":23}}
{"error":{
"type":"Symfony\\Component\\Debug\\Exception\\FatalErrorException",
"message":"Class 'Monolog\\Logger' not found",
"file":"\/Applications\/MAMP\/htdocs\/xxxxx\/vendor\/laravel\/framework\/src\/Illuminate\/Log\/LogServiceProvider.php",
"line":23}}
Script php artisan clear-compiled handling the post-install-cmd event returned with an error
Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

ashish64 ashish64 Joined 6 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.