Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Laravel.io
Last updated 1 year ago.

Laravel is more for custom stuff. Wordpress is for what it is made. CMS. You have tons of plugins, backend and translations etc out of the box.If you need to build a public api or whatever you are going to use laravel.Or a simple LOB application or a CRUD app etc etc

Last updated 1 year ago.

It depends on the complexity of your 'website'. Laravel is a framework for building web apps. Wordpress is a CMS system for a blog or website. Really could not be more different!

• If you want to build the new Facebook, use Laravel.
  • If you want to build you personal blog, use WordPress.

Then again, either pieces of software can be used for whatever you want. My personal blog/website is built using Laravel.

Last updated 1 year ago.

That and the fact that OFTEN wordpress has WAY more than you need for a lot of web apps, and it is VERY poorly optimized and a beast on mysql, and very slow to load.

Groupon for instance for first imagined and built on Wordpress - it wasn't long at all before they saw the error in that and went with an MVC framework - I believe Ruby on Rails..

As far as employability if you're looking to enhance your skillset then you MUST know MVC frameworks. I've recently sat in 30+ interviews, and every single one asks which frameworks do I know.

AngularJS is HUGE right now, as is Rails, Symfony, CakePHP, Laravel, Django. A lot of people are looking for good JS developers lately at least in Utah where I am.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I like to think of this comparison to be like building a car. Many people build custom vehicles from scratch, or from fabricating other car parts (libraries) to work together. The end result is something unique, to be proud of and others look upon in awe. Using a brilliant framework, like Laravel, is like having an excellent workshop with many tools at your disposal to get the job done. Whereas using an application, like Wordpress, is like starting with a production car, something that already operates for a specific task, in this case blogging. Both have pros and cons.

A custom car (Laravel) often takes longer, is harder to maintain and is more prone to learning from mistakes, resulting in more bugs; yet it is more flexible, crafted by hand and can perform bespoke functions for the unique requirements.

A production car (CMS) is quicker, you work as a team (others using the same car), there is less low level programming so less bugs, has maintenance and upgrade paths; however it can be less flexible, makes assumptions about how the site should behave, custom features often need to be "bolted on" as after market parts or hacked in and the end result might be identified as a modified piece of work (to a trained eye).

Personally, I would build with a production car where possible. When you consider the end user often doesn't know the difference, so long as the desired function is achieved, it makes sense. This largely boils down to the requirements and resources for the job at hand.

My friend and I are preparing to launch a new CMS built on Laravel called October that hopes to tackle a lot of these issues by offering the best of both worlds, we hope to have it launched in Beta on 15th May 2014. To continue the analogy, we are building a kit car. Like building from a kit, you are following steps and patterns that have been laid our for you with careful consideration, and should cover almost all scenarios for a custom web application. It also comes with different peices, like lego blocks, that can be used to save time.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I found it quite amusing for some reason that Taylor's main blog is powered by WordPress. Just goes to show that depending on what you want to do, WordPress is a perfectly viable and good option if used in the right application.

Last updated 1 year ago.

garygreen said:

I found it quite amusing for some reason that Taylor's main blog is powered by WordPress. Just goes to show that depending on what you want to do, WordPress is a perfectly viable and good option if used in the right application.

Indeed it is. Both have their place in the online world but it would be wrong to compare them. It's like choosing between a spoon and a fork. You shouldn't eat soup with a fork and you shouldn't eat potatoes with a spoon. But you can use both to eat desert.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Just widen the topic, There are still time when php (favorite language) + HTML is actually better.

I'd only choose WP if I needed a Cadillac for the site.

The big toss for me is whether a simple low key cms or throwing something together with a framework is better....

My answer is choosing the right mixture complexity and features for the situation.

Last updated 1 year ago.

@ daftspunk Signed up :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

Laravel based Doptor CMS. Amazing features included. www.doptor.org

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sorry, but Doptor sucks. Only cause I can't log in. If you tell me that there's a demo, but then I can't have a look you've already lost. First impressions, guys! As cheesy as it may sound, but there is some truth to it...

Last updated 1 year ago.

i' ve found this link while i'm googling

Laravel CMS - CRUD Builder - Administrator - CodeCanyon

the problem is this not free, but after i try the framework, i think the price is not the problem anymore (only 22 ) considering with what it can do. i'm not promoting here but i can save more time and release some headache while doing my project.

i hope the author always maintaining the code coz this framework has help me a lot while doing my project.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi lutfiarfianto,

What kind of project you build with this CMS? It's easy to handle this CMS?

Best regards,

lutfiarfianto said:

the problem is this not free, but after i try the framework, i think the price is not the problem anymore (only 22 ) considering with what it can do. i'm not promoting here but i can save more time and release some headache while doing my project.

i hope the author always maintaining the code coz this framework has help me a lot while doing my project.

Last updated 1 year ago.

mostly databased intranet, as they said, the main focus is to build intranet / web based app. and in my opinion, it's quite easy, they prepare the basic crud script and let us finish the rest. saving time about 60 - 70% compared to copy pasting script manually :p

pakkocool said:

Hi lutfiarfianto,

What kind of project you build with this CMS? It's easy to handle this CMS?

Best regards,

lutfiarfianto said:

Last updated 1 year ago.

Try this new cms http://lavalite.org/

Last updated 4 years ago.

Quick Answer: Depends on your strengths

• Laravel lets you quickly build any kind of application ( if you are willing to go the MVC way ) adjusts with Responsive Bootstrap framework easily. -wordpress lets you build websites quickly, buy a template and you are up and running in 5 minutes, but eventually if you need that app to grow you will run into problems, don't get me wrong, is great, but the more things you add it gets a LOT slower to load.

It completely depends on your business requirements.

If you are building just a simple website, you can go with Wordpress. It has lot of functions and features, you can also download a tons of free plugins, and there is lot ways to make your development fast, so you can have your own website with in few hours.

If you're building a web application, something more complex, then Laravel would be better choice. As you know, it is a clean & classy framework for PHP web development and it helps you create any kind of applications using it's simple & expressive syntax, large community and lot of features like template engines, Restful controllers, dependency injection containers, Unit testing and well structured code. It makes web development more enjoyable, not something that is painful.

Last updated 8 years ago.

You can use lavalite

First of all congrats to you for successfully completing your first project using laravel platform. I agree with @jonlambert. It depends more upon completely the complexity of your website. Even you can make facebook using laravel and able to make some more complexity of project. Recently i studied this following content about creating a E commerce website using laravel platform. Its impressive! https://blogs.agriya.com/2015/09/07/laravel-best-php-framework...

try to create different applications using laravel, this way you will feel more confident and satfisfied with your work. You will not be able to achieve satisfaction in your first project.

Last updated 8 years ago.

Laravel have awesome self hosted, simple and modular CMS with a awesome interface like October CMS which is open source and freely available.

Reference http://www.expertphp.in/article/best-laravel-5-cms

Click here to see the step by step process

Generally speaking, WordPress is usually the no.1 choice if:

1. The project falls under the category of content-based portals such as blogs/newspapers.

2. The market has available WordPress plugins with the necessary quality/security and functionality to suit software requirements.

3. The founder of the startup wants to test the market and to create the first version of the website fast/cheap with a stripped-down functionality. In this case, WordPress can be useful as a prototype and platform for a minimal viable product.

Source: Laravel VS Wordpress

Last updated 7 years ago.

From my experience with both of them, I think Laravel's author wish if he was the WordPress's author.

When I use Laravel to build projects for my customers(I always recommend them to use WordPress of course!) what I actually do is reinvent the wheel all the time!

In my experience, there's two types of Wordpress sites:

• the ones where people just built a theme on top of an existing one, usually making it (WP) even less optimised than it is out of the box
  • the decent Wordpress sites that have a theme built from scratch and tailored to the clients need. I guess if a dev knows how to do this, she/he knows how to secure his WP site too. So that would be acceptable.

If you intend to do the first type of Wordpress I describe above, well.., don't do it. These websites, even small, will raise a lot of issues further down the line, whether it's on the optimisation aspect, security or else. Keep in mind that WP sites are usually a piece of cake to hack for someone who knows what she/he does on that aspect.

Note regarding WP plugins. There are a lot of plugins available, however be mindful when you pick the ones you want to use. Chose the ones offering support, it's usually a proof that it's well maintained/updated and secured. Just be mindful about your choices on that aspect, as some plugins could open security breaches.

General note about Wordpress. Some have pointed this out in their comments, but I think it's wise to emphasise it a bit more again: Wordpress is pretty crap when it comes to optimisation. It loads tons of script in the frontend that you don't need, even the backend js ! (maybe that has been amended I'm not sure). In that sense you don't have proper control on everything that happens in Wordpress. You adapt, you don't create. Which is a real problem for me personally.

Now Laravel. Personally I love it, and I don't think it takes that much more effort to build a cms in laravel. Just a few more cruds and a few javascript classes. After all your admin doesn't need to be fantastically fancy (btw, you would be surprised by the amount of client being happy with a very simple admin built from scratch). Also, creating an admin panel is painful at the start maybe, but once you got it right, it's quick and easy to maintain as well if you know what you do.

My point is, with Laravel you keep control on everything, where with Wordpress, you have to think within a well defined scope. Which is somehow annoying, but easy to pick up regarding wordpress as it's well documented. Documentation is, I think, what makes it so popular tbh. Drupal, for example, is seen as a way better CMS by many developers. I personally don't know Drupal, so I can't tell.

Finally, there are a few "in-between" solution with some cms built with laravel (OctoberCms, AsgardCMS) that could offer a better alternative to wordpress. Another solution, that I've been using at my previous work is to create a data abstraction layer between wordpress and laravel (usually with a Laravel Middleware or smth like that..). That means you could have a wordpress for feeding the db, and laravel for reading the db/outputting the data in the frontend. This way, you get rid of most of the Wordpress cons and you keep control on everything happening in the frontend. I like this solution even if on the querying side, things can get complex..

So, Wordpress yes, as soon as you don't overwrite someone else's code and you try to do things well. Meaning not just setting up plugins after plugins and as soon as it's a relatively small website. OR if you have a week to build a website...

Use laravel if you wanna propose quality code that you would like to keep control on. You won't reinvent the weel as some people said, you will just offer the best tailored code people can think of in term of php.

shabushabu said:

Sorry, but Doptor sucks. Only cause I can't log in. If you tell me that there's a demo, but then I can't have a look you've already lost. First impressions, guys! As cheesy as it may sound, but there is some truth to it...

Hi You are requested to visit www.hrpro.doptor.net (both panel backend and admin) (user: admin, password: 123456)

If you just need a simple blog go with a CMS but not Wordpress. I used @daftspunk's October CMS and it is a lot better than wordpress. There is a good October CMS vs Wordpress comparison that explains the differences between them and how October is better.

You know, actually, there are people who work with both in the same project. There are lots of cases when you gain from using both Laravel and WordPress together. You can use them separately with a bridge, you can use Laravel inside WordPress or vice versa.

There are some great CMSs that are built on Laravel. They are not as big as WordPress, but Laravel based CMSs like OctoberCMS and AsgardCMS are a great option for creating a website. They are not as bloated as WordPress and are more secure and faster as well. AsgardCMS comes with builtin functionality for modular and multilingual sites, while October CMS has easy to understand documentation and great resources, themes and plugins. Here is a nice comparison of both CMSs: https://www.cloudways.com/blog/asgardcms-vs-octobercms/

Hi

I have not used any of these but have heard a lot about "October CMS" which is produced with Laravel. But once I went from another Larwell CMS and found many things like WordPress (back-end)

Hope it helps you.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

jonaweb jonaweb Joined 22 Apr 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.