After digging a bit, I discovered my problem.
First, I dropped using Auth::check() and began using Auth::user(). When I called Auth::user(), I discovered I had set the incorrect value in my Eloquent model for what to return for getAuthIdentifier. I've since made it "return $this->attributes[$this->primaryKey]".
For those interested, this is my Eloquent model that I'm using for authentication. I highlighted the method.
Some of the problems related to Auth::check() I believe was due to my use of dd() during debugging. I wasn't allowing the request to complete and thus wasn't writing back to my session appropriately. I'm not 100% certain on that, but I did see my session keys disappearing in Redis. That stopped happening once I returned a value instead of calling dd() and exiting the application.
Sign in to participate in this thread!
We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us
The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.