Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Architecture
Last updated 1 year ago.

You will always develop longer if you follow standards and best practices. But maintaining the project will get a lot easier.

So, you need to ask yourself if the extra development time is warranted for the project you're working on. There's not a single correct answer to this.

However, remember that by abstracting as much as you can, you will only have to do a lot of the work once. Next time you won't have to write your repositories and models from scratch. Code reusability is of course possible without following standards and best practices, it's just harder.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I experienced the same issue currently that my development time was heavily increased and I almost thought about going back to my old, own system without any patterns because it was really time consuming to setup everything like you already mentioned bigsi but than I started to use these Laravel packages which save me quite a bit of time.

https://github.com/ShawnMcCool/laravel-auto-presenter and https://github.com/euantorano/Validation

Without these packages I most likely would go back to a less time consuming workflow, but that would mean a bit more work to maintain a project.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You don't have to do these kind of things in every project. If the project is for a one time marketing campaign that will be useless after the campaign finishes in a couple of months there is imho no need to follow all these design patterns.

But if you are building a project that will grow, and which might have muliple developers involved and has to be maintained during the next couple of years you might be better off with design patters in the end.

Anyway, you shouldn't feel forced to use something that you don't like. Use your own common sense to decide how much patterns you wan't to use. It doesn't make you a bad programmer if you don't use patters when you don't need to. It makes you a smart programmer to use them only when they will pay off in the end.

The hard part is predicting if you will ever have any benefit or not.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

reshadman reshadman Joined 15 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.