Back

Is this a correct use of polymorphic relationships?

Hey there,

I have been trying to create a preferences system for my app to control a number of features. There are two different models that can have preferences associated with them, say, Organization and Employee.

I have defined a table called preferences in my schema that looks like this:

preferences:
  - id: unique id
  - preference: string
  - description: string
  - default: string
  - type: string (Either 'Employee' or 'Organization', depending on whether this is a user-specific or organization-specific preference)

I have a second table called preference_overrides that just contains the "changed" preference values (if an Employee changes a preference, their provided value is inserted into this overrides table)

preference_overrides:
  - preference_id: integer references preferences(id)
  - value: string (user-provided value overriding the default in preferences)
  - entity_id: integer (this is either an Employee id or an Organization id, depending on the preference being set)
  - entity_type: string (either 'Employee' or 'Organization', again, depending on the preference type

Needless to say, I'm having trouble getting Eloquent to behave as I like, and I'm not even sure what I'm attempting is correct from a design standpoint. The behavior I'm trying to get is basically an API that can be used like this:

$employee = Employee::find(1)
dd($employee->preferences); // Show all preferences of type 'Employee' in a 'preference_title' => 'current value' format

$org = Organization::find(1);
dd($org->preferences); // Show all preferences of type 'Organization' in a 'preference_title' => 'current value' format

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

rickshawhobo replied 3 years ago

So it sounds like what you want is a many-to-many polymorphic. Many People can have many preferences. Many Organization can have many preferences. So you need 2 tables.

preferences
   id
   name

the "pivot" table

preferenceables
   preference_id
   preferenceable_id
   preferenceable_type | string "Employee" or "Organization

The 2nd part of your question I'm a little confused about but it sounds like you can do that as pivot data inside the preferenceables table

Sign in to participate in this thread!

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us