Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation Configuration Architecture
Last updated 1 year ago.

Composer: Just offer a full download with all the vendors. Less hassles for people.

Ion cube: Is code hiding really worth the hit you'll get in speed? Also, if you're app is really that freakin awesome it will get nulled eventually. I'm more of an opinion that good, solid support and service will keep your customers loyal.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You should consider to sell it as service. Otherwise updating will be pain and different environments will cause different problems.

• "We can't change document root"
  • "Fileinfo failed to load magic database"
  • "We get ioncube error after updating php version"
  • "I can't upload file"
  • "It says --disable-fileinfo"
  • "What does deprecated mean?"
  • "Hosting company says they cannot do this"
  • "Please send us FTP credentials"
  • "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of... what?" ...
Last updated 1 year ago.

illuminate3 said:

Composer: Just offer a full download with all the vendors. Less hassles for people.

Ion cube: Is code hiding really worth the hit you'll get in speed? Also, if you're app is really that freakin awesome it will get nulled eventually. I'm more of an opinion that good, solid support and service will keep your customers loyal.

Yeah i have considered the options about encoding and yes it basically does need to be done. even at a possible speed hit (mostly negligible in previous versions)

I do expect it to get nulled and shared if it hits the really big time. But as with anythign the group of people who share the nulled versions are taken into account and are not my main marketplace anyway.

In terms of composer. It has taken me around 3 months to really understand what i am supposed to be doing with it as im from a very much procedural full package download and then upload background like Joomla or wordpress etc. where i can just grab all the files and put them into a folder and call the install script.

The jump from downloading and installing plugins for specific functionality versus using composer or vagrant or any of the other myriad of possible dependency managers is not a simple one for general users of scripts. I did not understand how i would install composer. even what its purpose was to begin with. I just wanted to download laravel and start developing on it. i want to avoid that kind of confusion for end users with less knowledge and higher expectations.

mgsmus said:

You should consider to sell it as service. Otherwise updating will be pain and different environments will cause different problems.

• "We can't change document root"
  • "Fileinfo failed to load magic database"
  • "We get ioncube error after updating php version"
  • "I can't upload file"
  • "It says --disable-fileinfo"
  • "What does deprecated mean?"
  • "Hosting company says they cannot do this"
  • "Please send us FTP credentials"
  • "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of... what?" ...

Sure i understand this also. There is a call for both self hosted versions of this software and a SAAS style one also.

I need to make the self hosted version because the call for it is big enough. and the data it will hold is sensitive enough for people to want it to be hosted on their server only.

In terms of the above support queries. there would ahve to be a FAQ section with general fixes for the common faults. as well as a userguide for the rest of the expected usage. Most of this is already in place from previous versions which i would expect some of the requirements for the server to change (php 5.4 > and MCRYPT for example) but this would all be handled initially by a setup script ala wordpress so any specific requirements or suggestions from phpinfo would be able to be handled there.

Would still like to know if once i have completed the app in laravel can i just package it as is there and zip it or are there other dependencies outside of the app which composer installs.?

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Composer will install Laravel and any other package your composer.json file requires. So for example, if your application uses debug toolbar or hashids (two laravel packages), then it'd install laravel, debug toolbar and hashids.

Hopefully that makes sense. If you need any help building this, feel free to reach out to me as I have a ton of experience with SaaS and Self-hosted product development. My email is located on my Github profile.

Good luck regardless! :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sure i understand how composer works now.

What i want to try and do is not require composer for my apps end users.

Do i have to use composer? or can i package laravel apps up in a (big) zip and send it out with all dependencies already taken care of.

I cant send out a product which requires compiling to all intents and purposes as my userbase is not technically adept.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You can just zip up your app including the vendor directory and package it that way. You'll have to make sure to check the licensing however for any packages within vendor, you won't be able to encode them either.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

siparker siparker Joined 6 Sep 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.