Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Laravel.io
Last updated 1 year ago.

I've been using Vim for about 2 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it.

Last updated 1 year ago.

keevitaja said:

I've been using Vim for about 2 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it.

Hah! Yeah. Vim does seem to stand the test of time, and is definitely stupid powerful.

I've always had it in the back of my mind, but feel there's too big a learning curve and requires quite a time investment since it's so different and so specific compared to other editors.

May be worth it though.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Vim only looks intimidating. If you have the wits to manage learning to code and leverage frameworks such as Laravel, you certainly have my confidence of your ability to learn to use vim. I think you'll enjoy the number of plugins and extensibility.

Regarding PHPStorm; I've had generally good success with it on Mint. It isn't by any means fast, but workable.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I program almost exclusively with PHPStorm and every so often with Sublime Text when all I need is a text editor.

Last updated 1 year ago.

@RowdyElectron,

Do you know of any decent guides to get going with vim as more than a 'simple' text editor? I mean for things like themes, sidebar trees, git statuses, etc.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Seems to be very uncool to say this around here, but i like Netbeans.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Maybe Komodo Edit is an option? http://komodoide.com/komodo-edit/

Last updated 1 year ago.

I use kate now. It works fine

Last updated 1 year ago.

mattiaswirf said:

Maybe Komodo Edit is an option? http://komodoide.com/komodo-edit/

i used it on my windows years ago... it was ok!

Last updated 1 year ago.

Vim user here

Tried Sublime, Textmate, and a few others. Always end up back at Vim

Last updated 1 year ago.

Anyone have any autocompletion support for Komodo? It's really the only decent IDE on Ubuntu that's not Java.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I use Notepad for most of my projects. All those commands, completions and themes are really distracting -- btw screw 'hip'... for real.

Last updated 1 year ago.

keevitaja said:

:upvotes:

Last updated 1 year ago.

haha :D

Last updated 1 year ago.

keevitaja said:

I've been using Vim for about 2 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it. LOL

In linux I work with PHPStorm and looks ok for me. Netbeans is also doing his job, but it is much slower. Sublime2 is a really smart editor but I think it is not powerful enough for big projects.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Try Sublime in vim mode or "vintage mode" and the transition to Vim will not be a big deal. I use Vim and Sublime at work and Sublime and Vim at home ;) Can't really do without any of them, depending on the task.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm a Sublime Text guy but eager to try out Vim. Is it a good idea to try that on Windows?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I am a huge proponent of NetBeans. If you can look past the fact that it is built in/on Java, it is a fantastic IDE. It has awesome autocomplete, fantastic code formatting tools, built in Git, built in FTP, multi project support, and a ton more features.

Plus it is free and cross platform! It is the same interface on Mac on Windows on Linux, so if you switch platforms on occasion, you can keep the same environment (and the project files are cross platform too, which is awesome for this use case).

Edit: They just released v8 which apparently added composer support in project creation, grunt building in the IDE, and some other cool tidbits.

I highly recommend you check it out! https://netbeans.org/downloads/

Last updated 1 year ago.

bartje1974 said:

I use kate now. It works fine

I use Kate, but I can't get blade syntax highlighting; do you?

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

sajanp sajanp Joined 18 Feb 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.