Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 9 years ago
Installation
Last updated 1 year ago.

Because components of the Laravel core use syntax specific to PHP 5.4, the framework can't fully load itself before it errors out. It probably doesn't display anything because PHP's error settings are set to not display errors by default.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Logging and output for E_ALL is "on" but nothing happens :)

Is there a free webhoster with PHP 5.4+ to test my Laravel project there?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I used http://www.freewebhostingarea.com/ once for a test site. worked really well. wouldn't recommend it for a production server though

Last updated 1 year ago.

Look into "Laravel Homestead" and create your own VM for testing.

Last updated 1 year ago.

i think you should look into your server php and Apache error logs.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Also, laravel is a composer based framework - you really shouldn't simply upload the project as there are a number of generated files and paths in those generated files that may be different between your local machine and the hosting machine.

Taylor provided the community with Homestead for this exact reason - I use it on Windows almost exclusively now (for stuff that isn't even Laravel based occasionally even) and it works so well that I will never go back to MAMP/WAMP/Zend Server etc.

It gives you all the testing capabilities you would get from a remote hosting platform without any of the hassle.

Last updated 1 year ago.

abbajbryant said:

... those generated files that may be different between your local machine and the hosting machine.

But it's impossible for me to setup the local machine in the same way like the hosting machine. Why? Because it's shared hosting and i don't know all the important settings or can't even read them out. Even phpinfo() don't show me the version of Apache at my webhoster etc.

Taylor provided the community with Homestead for this exact reason - I use it on Windows almost exclusively now (for stuff that isn't even Laravel based occasionally even) and it works so well that I will never go back to MAMP/WAMP/Zend Server etc.

But i miss Apache and phpMyAdmin there... maybe i could installe them on Homestead but i'm not a big server guru.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sharping said:

abbajbryant said:

... those generated files that may be different between your local machine and the hosting machine.

But it's impossible for me to setup the local machine in the same way like the hosting machine. Why? Because it's shared hosting and i don't know all the important settings or can't even read them out. Even phpinfo() don't show me the version of Apache at my webhoster etc.

But i miss Apache and phpMyAdmin there... maybe i could installe them on Homestead but i'm not a big server guru. I haven't had to do this as I've always had shell access with my webhost, but there SHOULD be some documentation or reference somewhere that will tell you the configuration detail of your webhost's servers. Even if it just gives you something like "Linux Distro Ubuntu 14.0.4" you can look up what comes pre-installed with it.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Err... guys... i'm running a Laravel 4 APP on an Apache with PHP 5.3.3...

I've found this when a component i added with composer did broke the app in the server. So, i guess 5.4 is not a core requirement even when the docs says so. It is, on the other hand, for some components.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Canta said:

Err... guys... i'm running a Laravel 4 APP on an Apache with PHP 5.3.3...

I've found this when a component i added with composer did broke the app in the server. So, i guess 5.4 is not a core requirement even when the docs says so. It is, on the other hand, for some components.

Are you running 4.2? 4 and 4.1 only require PHP 5.3.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Oh... good point. Thanks for the clarification.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

Sharping sharping Joined 28 Jun 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.