Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation Configuration
Last updated 1 year ago.

Sure you haven't been dreaming? Can't find any such info on the page.. :P

Last updated 1 year ago.

Aaah I see now what you mean.

Couldn't you just keep doing like its been done? I guess the "new way" automates the creation of the yaml file so you don't manually have to edit it.

Last updated 1 year ago.

splenetic said:

Hi,

I don't really like the new installation method (http://laravel.com/docs/master/homestead). Previously, for Windows users, the setup was very simple:

• Install VirtualBox
  • Install Vagrant
  • Clone the Homestead repo
  • optionally edit the Homestead.yml file
  • vagrant up

Now you have to do several more complicated steps:

• Install VirtualBox
  • Install Vagrant
  • Install PHP (download the right build, unzip it, add it to PATH - not simple!)
  • Install Composer - somewhat simple
  • Add C:/users/somedude/.composer/bin to the Windows PATH environment variable - not simple
  • homestead init
  • edit Homestead.yml
  • vagrant up

A major benefit of using Vagrant is not having to install servers and runtimes on your PC, which can be a PITA if you have to use Windows. Why do I have to install PHP and Composer to set up a Vagrant box that includes PHP and Composer?

I quite agree. I am rolling this out to some designers who use Windows, and the beauty and simplicity of Homestead has now been sacrificed. This really is quite painful now.

Your last point is the one about this update which grates me the most; I quite concur!

Last updated 1 year ago.

I decided to install Laravel Homestead in order to create a development environment on my local Windows machine. I liked the statement in the docs saying: "Laravel Homestead is an official, pre-packaged Vagrant "box" that provides you a wonderful development environment without requiring you to install PHP...". I liked it comes with its own PHP and several other things one developer might need. Later on I figured out that in order to install you need to have composer, which requires PHP. Very funny, sounds like you need Windows in order to be able to install Windows :)) Somebody any better suggestions?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I strongly concur. I was in the process of reinstalling Laravel on my Windows machine, and the update cost me nearly a days work until I figured it all out. The new method adds several layers of complexity for all windows users, and whats the point in a VM if I need PHP etc on the host machine? Might as well install xampp.

Sorry, but this sucks (for me, a medium experienced windows/Laravel user)

Last updated 1 year ago.

If you can't install PHP and Composer, then you probably shouldn't be developing.

1. Download latest non thread safe zip: http://windows.php.net/download/
  2. Unzip to C:\php56
  3. Add C:\php56 to Path (Control Panel->System, then System Properties in left sidebar -> Environment Variables)
  4. Download and install Composer: https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#installation-windows

Takes about 3 minutes.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Still I think that we're is using preconfigured virtual machine to NOT install development tools.

Last updated 1 year ago.

You're a developer, so by definition, you'll need development tools. This isn't rocket science. Its a few clicks and you'll only have to do it once. Just get on with it instead of complaining about something that's actually advantageous for you.

Here are 2 reasons:

1. Running composer update on the host instead of the VM is faster
  2. Your Homestead config stays separate from the application, which you can now update with a simple command
Last updated 1 year ago.

Doesnt work for me. PHP installed in /bin/php Composer installed successfully Vagrant installed Cloned Homestead repository

"Homestead init" is not recognized as an internal or external command

php Homestead init produces the following error; "PHP warning: require (C:\Daten\web\Homestead/../../autoload.php) failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:}Daten\web\homestead on line 1"

What am I missing here, where can i give Homestead the correct path, or what can I do to proceed here?

Regards

P.S.: And no, i dont call myself a developer, but I do would like to use Laravel.

Last updated 1 year ago.

The new homestead requirement for php >=5.4 makes it no longer contained and portable. Previously as long as you have vagrant, all are set.

This paragraph may need to be changed. "Laravel Homestead is an official, pre-packaged Vagrant "box" that provides you a wonderful development environment without requiring you to install PHP, HHVM, a web server, and any other server software on your local machine. No more worrying about messing up your operating system! Vagrant boxes are completely disposable. If something goes wrong, you can destroy and re-create the box in minutes!"

Last updated 1 year ago.

Couldn't agree more, the new Homestead just goes against its own basic principles.

Last updated 1 year ago.

broszies said:

Doesnt work for me. PHP installed in /bin/php Composer installed successfully Vagrant installed Cloned Homestead repository

php Homestead init produces the following error; "PHP warning: require (C:\Daten\web\Homestead/../../autoload.php) failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:}Daten\web\homestead on line 1"

What am I missing here, where can i give Homestead the correct path, or what can I do to proceed here?

Regards

P.S.: And no, i dont call myself a developer, but I do would like to use Laravel.

Probably you need to add the C:\Users*your name*\AppData\Roaming\Composer\vendor\bin route, to your path.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I agree with others...preferred the simplicity of the previous version without having to install PHP and Composer.

Last updated 1 year ago.

broszies said:

Regards

I had the same issue. To download and resolve dependencies you have to run the "composer install" command before you run homestead init. That should fix the problem. https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#using-composer

I also agree with the above about preferring all this to be in one VM and keeping the installation steps as simple as possible. I use composer outside of the VM as well because it is faster, but having everything working in a contained environment that limits the possibility of messing things up for new developers to the environment is a great thing.

Cheers,

Brandon

Last updated 1 year ago.

If you guys, or anyone else is having issues with Laravel Homestead 2.0 on Windows, go checkout my video tutorial series available here: http://goo.gl/t8IbV3

I created a new topic with my setup in windows without needing php or composer on the host machine, it is located here http://laravel.io/forum/12-13-2014-my-homestead-2-setup-on-win...

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

splenetic splenetic Joined 17 Nov 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.