Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
posted 10 years ago
Laravel.io
Last updated 1 year ago.

These are good notes.

Many of these things are already planned, some are deferred to the future.

For example, unread / popular threads, post quoting, and email notifications.

Additionally, Machuga is working on a new 'help' system that's SO-like for this app.

Last updated 1 year ago.

A marked as solved & the answer that solved it.

I know this can't always be done with a forum design, just makes it helpful.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Actually, marking solved/correct answers is relatively easy to implement, even from a vanilla PHP perspective. I imagine doing it with Laravel would be even easier.

Also - subscribe by tag/category for those interested to be able to subscribe to ex Routes & Controllers or Blade etc

Last updated 1 year ago.

A Preview button when composing a post/reply would eliminate some of the "oh crap did I typo on my Markdown" fear.

Last updated 1 year ago.

No more [code][/code] tags? Only Gist?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'd like to see code-embed support for paste.laravel.com!

Last updated 1 year ago.

Also, it'd be nice to add a "vote-up" or "like" option, to simply indicate approval of a thread or reply. This could or could not be used for user reputation as well.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Similar to the 'New posts' function, I really like the 'Posted' feature from the old forums, to quickly see if there are any new responses.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Not so important but annoying. http://i.imgur.com/eJgO9MI.png :D

Last updated 1 year ago.

Just a thought on the list of forum categories: where would questions about using Carbon go?

Last updated 1 year ago.

What browser/OS @fredriklaason ?

Last updated 1 year ago.

Win8 - Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102 @anlutro

Last updated 1 year ago.

Added missed functionality:

• Latest Posts : I visit here mostly to help rather than posting my own questions. So, having a full list of the latest posts / threads on 1 page is awesome. I really don't want to have to drill through each category / tag group to read stuff.

• New to laravel forums < AutoSave> : I'd really love having autosave to save my post to local browser storage because sometimes I'll get busy and come back to have my long winded post wiped out :( Note: I normally use my phone when visiting and iOS Safari screws me over too often.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Ah! Latest Posts ... hmmm, maybe this is already here under the "All Posts" link. I possibly jumped the gun ...

• Username : I'm not sure I really like the idea of my github name is what is being used here in the forums. I read some where that the possibility of changing your username. Look forward to that functionality.
Last updated 1 year ago.

I don't like to be forced to log in with an github account :-( Because I needed to create (new) accounts on github and wordpress, just for posting here ...

Why there's no other option ?

Last updated 1 year ago.

I agree with pixelmeter, It would be beter i think that members can login with also other accounts. Think about Oauth or openID.

I can imagine that not everybody has an github account.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I, too, agree with pixelmeter. Perhaps standard auth can be considered an option? Instead of wrapping in a whole bunch of sign-in options...

Last updated 1 year ago.

Github will remain the only authentication system.

There are things that we can do, like give you the option to stay logged in indefinitely, allow other user names, or other things. But, the Github authentication is directly tied to various features across the entire application including features that aren't yet launched.

Having this single authentication system also reduces complexity in many ways. We feel that this is the right thing to do despite the fact that it's possible that some people may find it offensive. So far, we've had an extremely positive response to the process.

We hope that as the site matures, people will be able to measure the application with more context and hopefully appreciate it for what it becomes.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Just a note : I find it highly confusing to have the author of a post at the very end of the latter. I'm always confusing the person writing a post with the post below it, plus it's quite annoying for very long posts because you have no idea who the author is until your reach the very end.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Yea, i'm noticing some of that too. We'll revisit the design here and there and make changes. We didn't want to draw TOO much from standard forums. But, we did pull a lot. We wanted to rediscover a lot of it on our own.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Actually, I don't see much wrong with pulling useful features and standards from other forums because I'd rather be more focused on information that with trying to figure out how to ask for help or try to give help.

@ possible bug ... ios 7 safari, logged into other github account. I can't login with the account that I'm using from my pc. UGH!

Last updated 1 year ago.

@ paging Could you add them to top of the thread IF jump to first unread post isn't enabled?

@ numbers next to tags/categories Actually, all the numbers just don't seem to work. I thought they meant "unread" but at the moment, I'm not sure what they do since I've been trying to turn them off by opening lots of threads.

@ server / response Is this site the same one as the old forums? I'm asking since I'm getting lots of lag and threads not opening for seconds ... I end up hitting refresh to even to hit this thread :(

Last updated 1 year ago.

@ github bug: Never mind ... I think it was my mistake :(

Last updated 1 year ago.

Is it possible to list the Last Poster on the index list? Currently it says something like:

posted by username updated 8 minutes ago

Which I read as username posted the update 8 minutes ago.

Possibly say something like:

posted by username, updated 8 minutes ago by anotheruser
Last updated 1 year ago.

mrsimonbennett said:

A marked as solved & the answer that solved it.

I know this can't always be done with a forum design, just makes it helpful.

+1 for this :)

Last updated 1 year ago.

I've updated a few thing last night

• On mobile phones the sidebar now collapses making it easier to browse the forums
  • Added a pagination on top of the pages (not sure if i like it, going to look at the stats if people use it)
  • Added functionality to click on reply count to jump to latest reply
  • Added date + name of latest reply on forum index
  • Textarea inputs or now stored locally for 5 minutes, this is to prevent content loss if people accidentally refresh a page, click away
Last updated 1 year ago.

Yes! These will help a ton!

Last updated 1 year ago.

Post numbers grey out of I just see the topic for the all topics tag. Now I don't know what I haven't read ... :(

Last updated 1 year ago.

Hmmm, section close is a full bar. I scroll with right thumb and keep hitting it -- tag I'm it.

Jump to last post is nice but doesn't take I to account for previous posts being read or not.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Previous posts being read or not will probably not be a feature for a little while. The marked as solved thing is going to be effing awesome once we finish it. But, we have quite a few things in the pipe. I'm actually really proud how much progress our team is making on a daily basis. But, making a really cool forum is a costly process. This release was very much designed as a minimum viable product. We even temporarily removed functionality that was otherwise done so that we could focus on the launch.

Wait till you see some of the bin integration stuff that we have in mind. =)

Last updated 1 year ago.

Shawn, thank you for offering so much to the community. It is good to hear that the above features are in plan/progress.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Nice work on the solved / solution feature.

Last updated 1 year ago.

mack-hankins said:

Thanks, it's still young. But, bit by bit we're getting stuff in. We're going to push "Articles" live and then we're going to reassess the state of everything, refactor code, refactor design, etc.

Last updated 1 year ago.

The solved filter is very cool, well done guys. In the topic lists, it now just says "posted by xxx" below each topic, is the "last update by xxx, 3 mins ago" going to come back?

Last updated 1 year ago.

ShawnMcCool said:

mack-hankins said:

Thanks, it's still young. But, bit by bit we're getting stuff in. We're going to push "Articles" live and then we're going to reassess the state of everything, refactor code, refactor design, etc.

I know that refactor feeling sir. I am pretty excited to see the articles come to life as someone who has been following the repo pretty closely and learned a lot from it.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I'm not being notified of new posts on threads I raised or commented on. Is that a missing feature (its an absolute necessity in my opinion) or is there an issue with my account or something?

Last updated 1 year ago.

amityweb said:

I'm not being notified of new posts on threads I raised or commented on. Is that a missing feature (its an absolute necessity in my opinion) or is there an issue with my account or something?

The red highlight on the post count? Yeah I'd noticed that had disappeared too...

Last updated 1 year ago.

AndrewBNZ said: The red highlight on the post count? Yeah I'd noticed that had disappeared too...

No, I mean I don't get an email telling me there are replies to a post I am following/subscribing. Cant see anything that allows me to follow/subscribe a post. So now I'm re-visiting a post every 30 minutes to see if there's a reply. Not good!

Last updated 1 year ago.

I do like the work you've done, but I think the new forum currently is very unclear. It is really hard to keep track of what I read/didn't read and what posts are new since my visit (and skip to that exact post). Or just the posts I've posted on.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Would be very nice to put a link somewhere where you can go to your profile and/or show your latest topics and posts.

Last updated 1 year ago.

barryvdh said:

I do like the work you've done, but I think the new forum currently is very unclear. It is really hard to keep track of what I read/didn't read and what posts are new since my visit (and skip to that exact post). Or just the posts I've posted on.

This feature did exist, but a few days ago (when they added the solved tags) - the feature disappeared. It used to highlight topics with posts since your last visit and had a clickable number that jumped you to the first unread post.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Ability to report a post please

Last updated 1 year ago.

The direction you're heading to remind me of coderwall.com, and it's a great direction. keep up the good work.

Last updated 1 year ago.

I would like to see a feature that allows you to like/watch a post, so that you can view a list of posts that you have liked/are watching and see if there has been any new posts. This would be useful in the case where someone else has asked a question that you want to know the answer to and eliminate the need to add a "+1" or "Me too" reply to that thread.

Separately from the forum, it would be nice if there was a way to allow people to post their Github packages somewhere, or have a way of pulling/aggregating them from Github. This would be similar to Packalyst, I guess, but more interactive.

Last updated 1 year ago.

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

mikedugan mikedugan Joined 8 Dec 2013

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.