Laracon EU is over! Thanks for all your support! Watch the videos here.

Forum

open source e-commerce Laravel style.

Currently there are few decent e-commerce platforms in the PHP ecosphere. Sylius (Symfony2) and Catalyst Arsenal (if it ever arrives) are very promising offerings.

How many people would be interested in creating a completely open source e-commerce platform based on Laravel 4.x?

Just gaging initial thoughts and interest ..

andrewmclagan
andrewmclagan
  • 8 months ago

I would be interested, a lovely learning curve and a beautiful end product.

I would definitely be interested!

I too would be interested in something like that.

I would like Sylius but a framework agnostic version with Symfony and Laravel drivers.

+1 for this. Been looking for a Laravel 4 solution to E-commerce for a while now.

That would be awesome!

I would be able to participate in making it. I've created multiple tutorials about building a shop, from creating a review system to implementing fancy search-as-you-type to pagination in-place using Backbone.js, maybe some parts could be integrated with this open source solution?

Check the list here: http://maxoffsky.com/code-blog/building-a-shop-with-laravel-tutorial-series-announcement/

Please let me know if this would be helpful.

I think that this is a good starting point. https://github.com/Sylius/SyliusCartBundle

ShawnMcCool said:

I think that this is a good starting point. https://github.com/Sylius/SyliusCartBundle

These were my thoughts exactly Sean. If we started a fork of sylius with intention to make it framework agnostic it would be beneficial to the community as a whole and also garner more interest.

Awesome response people... I will keep you all updated

+1, would be a great project. Sylius is definitely worth looking at.

I guess I am a little curious about the purpose of such a project? By that I mean, is it intended to be a viable and competitive ecommerce application or is it intended to be an "eat your own dog food" proof-point/learning tool for Laravel? Or both?

Don't get me wrong, I think the project sounds interesting and I would probably be interested in participating (I am not a professional programmer, but have been in the software industry for 20 years in other capacities), but I wonder what we might want out of this? What are our motives?

Take Sylius. It seems (to me) to be as much of a proof point for Test Driven Development (Behat and phpspec) as it is a credible ecommerce package. It is highly dependent on Symfony for a reason... to emphasize stability of the platform. But would someone looking for an ecommerce package really care if it was developed using TDD methods? This aspect seems a bit geared for the academics not the actual target market.

I defiantly agree with you on some of the points that you have made m0j0r1s1ng.

Although the advantages of a TDD are massive. Its true that an end user most likely would not care weather its TDD or not. The whole point of TDD is not as a marketing tool but as a development tool to create very stable, bug free software and speed up the testing phase of development. You do not need to be a computer scientist to see the advantages of a fast paced and very stable application.

PHP in my opinion seriously lacks a decent e-commerce offering.

An offering tied into the composer ecosphere has countless advantages.

I also want to contribute?

UPDATE: I posted an issue on the core Sylis repo describing the intentions / need to convert the sylius packages to framework agnostic composer packages.

There was a very posative response, they are already actually undertaking this as a pull request. So i believe we should direct our attention and resources their.

Thus we can create a specific Laravel / Eloquent implementation once that is done. This is very very good news.

view the topic: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/969

m0j0r1s1ng said:

Take Sylius. It seems (to me) to be as much of a proof point for Test Driven Development (Behat and phpspec) as it is a credible ecommerce package. It is highly dependent on Symfony for a reason... to emphasize stability of the platform. But would someone looking for an ecommerce package really care if it was developed using TDD methods? This aspect seems a bit geared for the academics not the actual target market.

I really don't agree with the sentiment that TDD is specific to academics.

Hi everybody,

I'm Pawel Jedrzejewski and I started the Sylius project. When I discovered Symfony2 in its early days, I really wanted to create shops for my customers using this new piece of technology, so I created some standalone bundles for e-commerce. I've open sourced them at some point. Last year, we've decided to create a full application using these standalone components.

As you said, Sylius is coupled to Symfony2. And I want Sylius to be Symfony2 based, because I love this framework. That being said, I think there is a great potential in different communities working together. You can read more here - https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/549, this is an RFC that started our work on extracting standalone PHP components from our bundles. And, as you see, our code is quite decoupled so it wasn't so hard to do. We left our Symfony2 bundles very skinny. :) We stopped for a moment, because of a large Sylius adoption that would get into trouble if we merge such change and just tag the releases. (we're not stable, so I would prefer not to branch off)

I've got in touch with Drupal Commerce guys and I think there is some space for collaboration with them as well. I think it would be just amazing if we can get all together and collaborate on a generic set of PHP e-commerce components.

And Sylius seems like a good starting point... But I'm sure you have some questions or concerns regarding that and I'm here to discuss it with you. :)

One thing to note is that afaik Lavaral now exposes a "clean" HttpKernelInterface. This means that integration of Laravel apps into Symfony2 apps and vice versa is relatively trivial to do. While this would maybe not be exactly what a Laravel would like, it does mean that its possible to use Sylius for ecommerce and Laravel for other aspects of a project.

That being said, as Pawel points out, the Bundles are relatively thin already and pushing this forward even more is of course much easier once there is another community is there to help make it happen and ensure that the boundaries of what should sit in a lib/component and what may live in framework specific layers are chosen properly.

ShawnMcCool said:

m0j0r1s1ng said:

I really don't agree with the sentiment that TDD is specific to academics.

Shawn, I should not have used the word academics as this is much too trite and not very accurate. What I was trying to convey is that TDD might not be an end-user feature per se, though I concede the point that @andrewmclagan makes above that use of TDD can contribute to the overall quality and stability of the package... which certainly is something the target user is looking for.

I have actually been building an open source ecommerce engine using parts of sylius for the past several months. It has been somewhat difficult since the components are not currently decoupled. However the end goal is to use a bit of everything similar to how laravel uses symfony and other packages. I have to get a little more fleshed out in order to release some code but it could be a good starting point for something like this?

Would definitely get behind this and contribute